Pistons or Lakers

Discussion in 'Community' started by toaster_oven, Jun 6, 2004.

1. toaster_oven macrumors regular

ok- NBA finals...

I was just wondering who out there is going to watch- and if anyone had any thoughts on who is going to win it all this year.

they split 2 games in the regular season (Lakers win 94-89, Pistons win 106-96) both in November... even though the Lakers were healthy - and Pistons didn't have Rasheed Wallace.

I don't see how Pistons are going to dominate defensively with Shaq and Kobe in there... but Detroit has some scorers, so the series shouldn't be too lopsided. Rip Hamilton is on fire lately, and he used to be rivals with Kobe back in high school... i'm looking forward to that match-up more than the Shaq-Big Ben match-up.

I, of course, am a long-time Pistons fan, so i'll be rooting for them...

my prediction - it'll be a good series... ;-)

-TO

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i'm not a big NBA fan, but I'm betting on the lakers, its the last time that team will be together and it'll be a great story if kobe can say he dealt with all that off the court adversity and still showed up to perform.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The report from Los Angeles

Usually the fickle fans here get out the Laker flags for their cars about the time of the conference finals, which is also about the time the Lakers finally start playing with full effort. This year there have been many fewer car flags than in the previous four years, judging from my highly scientific sample (whatever I happen to see when driving the last few weeks). So, for whatever reason, support seems to be a little more tepid this year, even though they should be favored to win.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I could care less about both teams, the Nets and Sixers are out so I don't care anymore, choosing one I'm gonna have to root for the Pistons since I hate the Lakers.

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

It's a win-win for me. I live in CA and grew up in Michigan!

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

8. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

piisstoonnns ba-sket-balllll! go pistons! i would love it if all three of bill davidsons teams won something this year. unfortunately though, i don't think the wallaces, billups, and rip hamilton can really hold back the fab four. either way, the pistons goal was set to make the finals this year. thats all. its still in a building process. so it won't be that big of a downer if they can't get it done.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

10. phonemonkey macrumors regular

I can't believe this is being discussed. Even a redneck phonemonkey (myself) knows the lakers are winning it again.

11. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

ha-ha-ha! lakers-ha! It's the pistons who'll be winning this year. I guarantee it. (he-he)

Oh, and kwyjibo, please don't give kobe any praise. He's not deserving, and, frankly it's pretty revolting seeing all the praise people do give him when he's only dealing with problems he created.

12. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

well a few things. I'm not sure kobe committed any crime, and I don't plan on making a judgement until the jury reaches a verdict because I trust the judicial system.

also that doesn't make him less of an athlete.

14. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Pistons al the way, and what the heck, go Lightning!!

15. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Ah, yes, 1 game down. Very nice beating handed to the lakers tonight.

Kwyjibo, yes, he hasn't been convicted, but singing his praises for his ability to ignore his legal troubles seems inappropriate.

16. toaster_oven thread starter macrumors regular

interesting strategy- allow shaq and kobe to do their thing, while smothering the rest of the team... larry brown knows there is no way to stop shaq, so instead of wasting time going after him, they go after everyone else - but they played fantastic defense all night.

it should be interesting to see how phil jackson adjusts in the next game. kobe and shaq can't carry the whole team, someone else is going to have to step up...

anyway... go pistons!

-TO

17. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Regardless of the outcome, that Kobe is one hell of a ball player. A slimeball for cheating on his wife, but a heck of a player.

18. phonemonkey macrumors regular

why can't they? they carried the lakers for the past 6 years

19. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

i'm hoping that they start saying this about rip and chauncey some day. hey, here's hoping they say these things about tayshawn and darko as well! ;)

20. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Did you not watch the game? They carried the lakers and the team got trounced. It simply won't be enough against Detroit.

21. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well the lakerz got schooled tonight

but you know they are going to step it up

22. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    they like to be lazy.. all they need sometimes is a good swift kick in the rear. :)

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i live in northern california and grew up there so i should hate the los angeles lakers, but when it comes to the finals and a team from my state is going against some team from the east, then i root for the lakers

but it would be far more exciting if someone like the golden state warriors, in northern california, won the whole thing

the lakers of the nba are almost like the new york yankees (of baseball) with big stars and tons of championship rings...it all kind of gets boring after awhile and it would be great if it went to seven games and it remained close until the very end with both teams fully getting the respect of the entire nation

in baseball, even though the sf giants lost the world series, they still finally got the national respect they have deserved since they moved to san francisco instead of having people worship individual stars like willie mays and barry bonds...they have often been in the shadow of the more successful, and glamorous los angeles dodgers

since i have not followed the pistons, maybe their stars are big news and detroit is in the midst of another dynasty like the one they had before with isiah thomas...but they have to win this championship first to get everybody's attention

24. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

It would be traitorous of me to say anything but Pistons. :p