Pivoting display?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 7on, Mar 28, 2005.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think the ability to rotate the display is coming with Tiger, and won't be specific to Apple monitors. It's been available with Windows (using the correct driver) for a long time.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I hope that by this statement you don't mean that rotating displays will be new to the Mac.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well, as far as I knew, it is? :confused: Of course I could well be wrong (and from you comment I assume I am), but I've never seen it before on a Mac before Tiger.

5. kirk@kpj2.com macrumors newbie

Pivot Display

Radius made a display with the trademark "PIVOT" going back to Mac SE - SE/30 days. ('84-6?) They made both a B&W and a color version. They also made a NuBus version after 1987, when the Mac II / IIx came out. The display pivoted on the mount, and a switch in the mount triggered the display orientation change.

Now XP actually has multi-display support (something that has existing on the Mac since 1987... I had a Mac IIx with 6 displays on it at one time, acting as one virtual display. They are starting to get Windows to work almost as well as the Mac in the Mid-80's - only 20 years behind the times, but getting better. Now if they could only do something about that abysmal security problem, but that would take a re-write of the OS from the kernel up, with some real computer science involved ......

6. qzak macrumors 6502

i've had my ViewSonic VP171b hooked up to my pc for what a year or so now, it comes with PivotPro or something like that software. the stand that comes with the monitor lets it turn vertically so u dont have to buy any special set up like shown in that pic.

7. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

On PC'a NVIDIA and ATI release software to rotate displays - though on the mac this only works with non-OEM cards.

I want to hang my display upside down from ceiling :(

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Well, now you know that the technology was invented for the Mac.

9. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on