Pivoting LCD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by akadmon, Nov 12, 2006.

1. akadmon macrumors 68010

I know the ACDs do not pivot, so I'm considering getting a third party LCD that does have this capability. Will the Mac OS allow me to use the monitor in portrait mode, or does the monitor have to come with its own Mac specific driver to enable this feature? If the latter, does anyone know if the Dell wide screen monitors (specifically the 24" model) come with a Mac driver?

2. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Thanks for the help -- you guys are great!!! :rolleyes:

I asked at the Apple Store -- and they didn't know. I called Delll -- and they didn't know either, at least that's how I take it. The Dell guy told me that as long as the video card supports the monitor it will "work". Yeah, I know it will frigging work in landscape mode, but I want to use it in portrait mode for things that are better suited to this way of looking at things (e.g., web surfing/design, word processing, editing vertically oriented photos). I got the sense the guy had no idea what on-the-fly pivoting means.

3. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

have you got an answer :confused:

my understanding is that you need two things to use a monitor in portrait mode in OSX

1) Tiger
    2) ATI graphics (even old one's on ibooks)-

not sure if intel GMA can do it ... (i think i read not)...
    nvidia can't - it's all about the drivers for the graphics in osX.

ie any intel mac can in windows.
    this is a very important feature to me ! i edit lots of portrait mode photos :D and spend a lot of time in word processors:(

4. Graeme macrumors newbie

I have a MBP and a 24" Dell and yes you can rotate the displayed picture to portrait mode. You just go into the display preferences and there's a rotate drop down menu allowing degrees of 90, 180, or 270.

5. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Thanks. And BTW, I'm becoming more and more convinced that 90% people on Macrumors know more about macs that the people working for Apple. Amazing! :rolleyes:

6. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

I noticed you said MBP. I'm also considering buying a Mac Pro (it'll be either one or the other). Since MBP uses a different a video card than the Mac Pro, this leaves me wondering if pivoting will work on a Mac Pro.

Does anyone have a Mac Pro with the 24" Dell display? If so, what video card do you have and can you use the monitor in portrait mode?