Pixar and Disney might be breaking up!!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. macrumors 68000

agreenster

I think its a huge mistake if they split. I know Pixar is being all uppity and think they can make more money on their own or with a different distributor, but Im of the firm belief that:

IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT.

Pixar has done nothing but succeed with Disney at their side, and now is not the time to be all arrogant about their success and not give any credit to Disney.

Come on Jobs, do the right thing.

3. macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i think this is just steve negotiating through the media, throwing a jab towards eisner to get him to make the deal they want. kind of like when a free agent ballplayer talks about getting not getting the max contract as disrespecting... ;)

4. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If you look at the numbers on their gross at the box office, its a nice climb ;)

I'm just wondering if this is all a tactic to get a better deal with Disney for the next round of movies. Scare them into making an offer better for Pixar.

D

5. macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Ultimately, a deal like the one between Pixar and Disney has to reflect what the two parties bring to the movie making process. As I understand it, so far, Disney has brought two things: distribution and half the up-front production capital. The distribution they've been getting a flat fee for (makes sense to me) and return on their 1/2 investment has been a 1/2 cut of the profits (also makes sense to me).

Right now, Pixar is realizing that it no longer needs Disney's cash to make the films, and so may be looking for a distribution-only deal where Pixar alone finances the production costs.

That's fine -- and I think that Jobs is right that they can find someone who is willing to do fee-for-service distribution for them.

IMO, however, the question for Pixar is not
    "Can you afford to produce your next film?"
    but rather
    "Can you afford to produce the next two films after the next one is only pretty good rather than a blockbuster hit"?

The last thing that Pixar wants to do is be the prodigal son hoping for Eisner to kill the fatted calf -- not likely.

6. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'm all for Pixar taking their talents elsewhere. The "Disneyfication" of the world needs to stop somewhere. Disney is as bad as Microsoft in their attempts to control everything. If Pixar does all the creative work, just why should they hand over half the profits to Disney?

7. macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Pixar needs to leave Disney....And BTW, being distributed by Disney is one thing much of the success comes from within Pixar talent

8. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

For what they do, Disney only deserves to make around 25% to 33% of the profits, not half. Disney doesn't actually "do" that much for Pixar, anyway. Pixar is doing everything and carrying Disney in the process.

9. macrumors 6502a

Go strike a deal with Universal Steve. Screw Disney, no one likes to do business with them and Eisner.

10. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Am I wrong in understanding that Pixar is doing the work here? Storyline? Animation? and Disney is distributing? I'm sure Disney was a nice name to throw on your movie title when Toy Story came out, but Pixar is a well known name when it comes to computer animated full length movies...plus you just add "from the makers of Finding Nemo..." and you've got recognition. The fact is that Pixar doesn't need Disney like they did before and there's no reason to split profits like they originally agreed to. I personally hope they keep their partnership, but rewrite the terms so it is much more beneficial towards Pixar. That's not being uppity. That's having good business sense.

11. macrumors 68000

agreenster

Nobody distributes like Disney

.....plus they supply most of the voice talent. (side note)

I agree that Pixar can fund their own future films, and should probably only look to Disney as distributors. Thats probably what will end up happening.

I do worry (like some of you have said) that Pixar has a big job ahead of them: outdoing themselves. They've managed to do it so far.....They have such a dynamite creative team and story writers--I wouldnt put it past them to blow Nemo away come 2004....

I just think Pixar is da shiznit.

12. macrumors P6

wdlove

When it's Pixar that is doing the work, they deserve a better deal. Disney needs to share a little more of the profit!

13. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Translation please, for those of us who are "yiddishly impaired." Or is shiznit an orginal agreenster production? :D

14. macrumors 68000

agreenster

15. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ahahahah!

Well, I'm 'Doctor Teapot, Yo!'

Go check it out for yourself and become aware ;)

http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/toys/ghetto/

16. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Damn, do I feel like the old white guy! LOL. Have to bookmark that website for future translations. And I thought Latin and Attic Greek were hard to understand!

Ass Machine Teapot, Yo! - hey, Mr. Anderson we must be related.

17. macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Profits are a function of finished product, not creativity, ideas, or just desserts. If two parties split the financial risk 50-50, then the profits should be split 50-50.

It might be true that all the creative work is being done by Pixar, suggesting that they are bringing more than 50% of the pre-distribution equation to the table. But if Disney is putting up big money for production and relying on Pixar's creativity, that means that Disney has less control and is therefore at greater risk in the deal and should probably be compensated for that risk.

If we have a reasoned basis for 25% or 33% (which is an *enormous* spread, BTW) then that would be an interesting post -- I'm always interested to hear good arguments why the creative side of the product deserves more!

18. macrumors 68030

medea

Looks like I'm Rock Hard Juice.....

As for Pixar and Disney, the two have had poor relations for some time now and Disney is making way too much of a profit from the venture so far, in my eyes they should move on to a new company with a better distribution deal, but it's very possible they are just pushing to get a better deal with Disney, which I doubt Disney will pass up.

19. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But it makes sense if you look at it as this is the end of the contract for 6 films and now those deals they had don't apply considering the obvious potential Pixar has for making money. Before Toy Story, Pixar didn't have the clout to make it all work, so they needed Disney.

A string of huge successes at the box office, name recognition and the end of the current contract make this an obvious turn of events.

Good for Pixar - and Disney won't pass up the money - I'll wager that Pixar stays with Disney.

D

20. macrumors 604

iJon

this sounds like a bad idea. i walked through my mall and walked into the disney store and i saw walls of finding nemo fish and stuffed animals. EVERY kid wants to go into the disney store, were are the toys gonna end up now, just wal-mart.

iJon

21. macrumors 68000

agreenster

My ghetto name:

Boom Get Down

Thats right. Still da shiznit.

22. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'm still new to this - are hand gestures required along with shiznit or is that only for those of us who are definitely not da shiznit?

sincerely,
    Ass Machine Teapot
    (just Ass Machine to my friends) ;)

23. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

"Sayhey"...

is that like the san francisco version of SoHo?

pnw

24. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Look, I think Disney is getting a little too much right now, but that apple should abandon Disney altogether.

Pixar should be getting atleast 75% of the profits and fork over its own cash... They don't take Triple digits to finance, which Pixar has anyway... :p

25. macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

has disney had any recent big hits that weren't pixar films? i don't keep up on disney releases, but none stand out..i think they need pixar more than vice-versa, and will probably pay up to keep them

-Fallopian teapot, Yo

(is that supposed to be some kind of reference to sexual prowess, or something?)
    ;) ;) ;)