Pixar dumps Disney

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Waluigi, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Source
    --Waluigi

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

4. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Good news.

Disney was raking all the money while Pixar did all the hard work.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    oh well i hope they are able to continue making great films regardless of who distributes it

6. MacBytes macrumors bot

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

We're finally rid of Disney's ridiculously slow international releases!

Example: Finding Nemo's release dates.

8. machinehien macrumors regular

wow disney owned the rights to all of Pixar's past releases?

I hope they saved their best ideas for themselves.

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    YES!!!!

i've never minced words about my absolute hatred for disney and their business "tactics"...they are pond-scum. so this is wonderful news to me...not to mention, i think it is the best thing for pixar. once you have a reputation and track record like pixar, distribution is not nearly as large of an issue.

disney has a long history of siphoning profit off of other's creative juices...then dumping them.

karma is a wonderful thing, ain't it....

eisner, your time's about up.

10. eazyway macrumors regular

Re: wow disney owned the rights to all of Pixar's past releases?

Pixar got 37% of the profits from the DVD's (Disney took 50%) and the movie income was fairly light. Pixar owns the rights to all of the films unless the do not want to do a follow up with Disney and they likely will not since they want a sweeter deal.

I feal Disney is making a huge mistake here especially if other big production houses step up to the plate.

11. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

I guess ME didn't give SJ that CEO position or SJ refused it.

I can see them going with WB now or maybe something to do with GL again and 20th Century Fox.

I thought the Incredibles was the last Pixar film for them...I guess I was wrong..

I wonder what Car is about???

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

For some reason, I thought they'd go with Universal. I guess the old "Apple buying Universal Music" rumours are going to rear their heads again now, and are going to include Universal's movie studio too :rolleyes:

13. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Maybe but when I think Universal I think Monster movies..like King Kong and such.

I see WB or Fox picking them up since they both have kid and young adult type movies.

14. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Re: YES!!!!

It's been up!

15. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

My thoughts exactly. I hope the lack of the Disney brand name won't mean a loss of box-office for Pixar. As bad as they might be, the name Disney is instantly recognized by everyone as "family entertainment".

Good luck, Pixar!;)

16. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

About time. Disney needs Pixar a lot more than Pixar needs Disney. Pixar, no doubt you'll keep making great films, so continue doing that and get a better deal out of it. :)

17. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Pixar will do better with Disney out of the way. Major distributors will be lining up to take on Pixar as an Animating Studio. Look at the success they had with Finding Nemo. Disney is ludacris not to continue their deal. It has to have been finacially lucrative for them. Oh well...:D

18. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I don't see this anywhere. It says top apple executive.

Its about time pixar dumped disney. That being said they still have to distribute two more movies with them and apparently disney has the rights to make sequels without pixar's involvment.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well this is good news - especially with Disney closing down its traditional 2D animation shop. This will only further sink Disney...

It will be fun to watch what they do, they still have their 3D animation studio - and I can't see them going head to head with Pixar there.

That, and Pixar is looking to start up a 2D animation group....is it coincidence?

D :D

20. Photorun macrumors 65816

Photorun

Holy cats! This should be page one, it's huge.

Good riddance Disney. I bet they thought they could do whatever they wanted as it's always been their way. I'm miffed but not surprised that Pixar took a stock hit, clueless investors/the street probably think they were the same company.

21. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Now if only Renderman were ported to the PowerMac G5, I bet Pixar can make gobs of movies.

22. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Looks like they changed it. It did say...

---
    ...the movie-animation studio led by former Apple (AAPL:Nasdaq - news - research) exec Steve Jobs...
    ---

TEG

23. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

i dunno. i worry, because i had a discussion with a guy the other day about disney. he said they were the best, and i asked him to name one good film they've put out in 5 years. he said, "finding nemo". i said that's pixar, disney just distributes it. "toy story" pixar, not disney. he didn't see the difference. some people really don't know that it's pixar making these films. they think it's disney, and might drop them after the castle logo disappears.

24. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

The Downward Spiral ....for Disney

WOW DISNEY HAS REALLY GOT THIER HEADS UP THIER ASSES TO BLOW THIS ONE , I HONESTLY BELIEVE THEY ARE FINISHED WITHOUT PIXAR , deserving for them i hate greedy pig corporations like them, they are every bit as bad as Microsloth and Mcdonalds, maybe worse thier programming sucks on ABC , they had to make half ass sequals of thier old classic cartoons just to make some extra money , i mean cum'on u can only milk a franchise so much really, i mean Lion King 1 1/2 (that's reallty being creative..lol). Disney is going the way of Enron with in the next 7-10yrs if they don't get rid of Michael Eisner. this guy is a complete idiot he called Steve Jobs and Pixar a bunch of "Shiite Muslims" saying Jobs has extremeist views. maybe it's cuz Jobs is aware of Disneys shady business tactics and is tired of getting JOBBED..lol when it comes to thier movie profits. Let's see Pixar comes up with all the Ideas , does all the work and all Disney has to do is Slap thier name all over it and put it in theaters. Let's not talk about the killing they make just on the Toys , T-Shirts and other junk they make for those movies...screw them. So i say good for you Pixar they now that thier rid of those losers they will have Studio's lined up in Bidding wars over them.

25. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Does anyone have the link to the site started by Roy Disney and the other dude? I'm curious to see what thier reaction to this is......