Pixar Founder John Lasseter Accepts Steve Jobs' Disney Legends Award in Emotional Speech

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 11, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Pixar founder John Lasseter accepted Steve Jobs' Disney Legends Award yesterday at the D23 Expo, an annual Disney event held for fans. In a video from YouTube channel WDWINFO, Lasseter can be seen emotionally talking about how Jobs had become like a brother to him after he lost his own brother to AIDS, going on to share several stories about Jobs' involvement with the animation company over the years.

In the speech, Lasseter recounted the early days of Pixar in 1984 when it was a technology company, noting that Jobs had liked what Pixar was doing and had tried to convince the Apple board to purchase the company. However, Jobs was soon fired from Apple and any potential purchasing intention or thoughts were dropped.

The Pixar founder then remembered a dinner he had with Jobs during one of the more troubling periods of production on "Toy Story", noting that Jobs saw how Pixar's work could be remembered far longer than any computer.
    Lasster also noted that Jobs had "changed" significantly during his time at Pixar. He had married his wife and began to see and embrace the arts while also seeing the creativity and skills of Pixar employees. Lasseter explained that he could see Jobs growing into a wonderful leader who was constantly pushing Pixar's employees to aim higher than they ever thought was possible.

Under Jobs' leadership, Pixar grew to be responsible for a large part of Disney's success, with Jobs eventually selling the company to Disney for $7.4 billion in early 2006. Last November, Pixar named its main building in honor of of Jobs.

Disney Legends was a program that originated 26 years ago, and over the years the program has honored over 250 individuals who have made significant contributions to The Walt Disney Company. Jobs received the award for his "visionary attitude, and penchant for innovation", his work at Apple, his contributions to Pixar, and his work on the Disney board of directors.

In addition to Jobs, Dick Clark, John Goodman, Billy Crystal and more were be recognized at the ceremony. Honorees are awarded a two-foot-tall bronze sculpture that signifies "imagination, creativity and magic that they have brought to the company."

Article Link: Pixar Founder John Lasseter Accepts Steve Jobs' Disney Legends Award in Emotional Speech
  2. macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2011
    Fantastic! What a great story to share. Miss you Steve!
  3. macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2009
    Of all the takeovers you hear about 7.6 billion was a steal
  4. macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2012
    Mad respect for SJ, he could have just spend his days enjoying his money on an island or somewhere and enjoy life, but he just keeps moving forward to what he believed in.
  5. macrumors 68040

Jun 26, 2009
    Burpelson AFB
    Good stuff. The Isaacson biography covered a lot of the Pixar years and Disney dealings. I thought that was the best part of the book, probably because it was the part of Job's life I knew the least about. SJ really came of age as a business man during his Pixar years.
  6. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    I believe that 50 years from now Steve Jobs will be most remembered for 2 things: The iPad and Pixar.

I'm not saying the rest will be forgotten, but I suspect those will be the first things people talk about.
  7. macrumors 68030

How cruel and unpredictable life can be, and how it can sometimes turn out better in the end.
  8. macrumors 6502a

May 9, 2005
    somewhere outside your window...
    The audio was a little unclear in parts, but I got the impression that SJ started at Pixar figuring he could do what anyone else did, and ended up realising otherwise. That he came to respect them for being different. :cool:
  9. macrumors 68020

Nov 10, 2007
    If you've never watched the movie named The Pixar Story I would highly recommend it. Very uplifting movie about an incredibly talented and dedicated group of people, and the part of the movie that includes Jobs truly shows his amazing vision.
  10. macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2008
    Up north
    Very nice speech.

A cliché, I know — but damn, I miss Steve.
  11. macrumors 6502

Dec 29, 2011
    John Lassetter is and will always be the heart and soul of Pixar (despite Cars 2).
  12. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Amazing what a 'whim' decision on Jobs' part turned out to be.
  13. macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
  14. macrumors member

May 26, 2011
    Not as much of a steal as when George Lucas sold it to Jobs for $5 million, because the studio seemed to be heading in a direction that he didn't believe would lead to the future of motion pictures. Seeing what Lucas has made since then, he probably didn't see the future of motion pictures as entertainment for humans.
  15. macrumors 68030

After seeing this clip, I definitely want to see The Pixar Story. What stood out for me was (at 4:15 in the clip) Steve's 'if you do your job right' quote.
  16. macrumors 68040

Apr 18, 2011
    For me the iPad is much more Ive then Jobs. To me Steve's greatest legacies are Pixar and Apple itself (not the products, but the whole company and everything in it)
  17. macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2007
    Really touching speech and has great history value on it. Thanks
  18. macrumors member

Mar 24, 2011
  19. macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2006
    Aussie living in Canada
    Quote of the day!
  20. tbl
    macrumors member

Jul 14, 2010
  21. macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2006
    Where I live
    He made movies that he enjoyed and (I think) paid from his pocket... Although they were far from stellar, I can respect that.

Same as Jobs... It just happens that people like his vision.
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2012
    In an ethereal plane of existence.
    I'd have to add the Mac too. All three products created consumer markets where none existed; the rest were simply incredible innovations on existing markets.
  23. macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    glad Steve bought Pixar. i really like their movies, and glad Steve was able to have an input as well.
  24. macrumors member

Sep 19, 2008
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    That presupposes that most people know that Jobs had anything to do with Pixar. Which I doubt.
  25. macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan
    Thanks for the link! This is the complete version with a great intro as well. :)