pixar uses intel procs?

Discussion in 'Community' started by akboarder24, Nov 6, 2004.

1. akboarder24 macrumors member

I saw the incredibles last night, and in the credits, there was thanks to intel for providing their processers for the 'fine art rendering' (I'm guessing the whole movie.) Any thoughts/insights?
    Ryan

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

To my understanding they switched to G5's but this was probably after the Incredibles was rendered.

scem0

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They've added some non-Intel machines but I believe that the bulk of their rendering is still happening on x86 Linux boxes.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm sure I read in another thread a post by agreenster that Pixar have a mixed hardware setup (he's got friends who work there apparently).

I really can't see that it matters what they use, so long as you enjoyed the film :)

5. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Like I just said in the post I had started, they use Intel Blade Servers, and the Incredibles was the first movie rendered on it. Most likely any G5s they have are used as workstations for doing the modelling, the might also use if for post production, using Final Cut Pro HD or something.

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

speaking of cgi movies any of you guys seen shrek 2?

the bonus material felt like an advertisement for HP. all they would talk about is how they use HP computers and how fast they are. Personally i found it a little annoying....

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I hear you but I wonder how you would have felt had they talked about how the use Macs and how fast they are.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus