Pixar

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cesar, Jul 25, 2004.

1. cesar macrumors member

would not be cool if Apple runs a pro article (http://www.apple.com/pro/)on how Pixar is using Apple Hardware (Powermacs, Displays, Powerbooks, iSights, xserves, xraids) and Software (FCP, Shake, xSan, ARD2.0,iChat, panther) to produce pictures? or about Pixar IT? ... or like sometime ago in macslah.org, the Apple IT and the way of work at apple....

that would be great!! :)

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

They don't run the article because most of Pixar is using x86-based computers.

3. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Wasn't Pixar going to create a new renderfarm using xserves at some point, or was that just some crazy rumor i made up?

4. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Really??? :confused: I find that very hard to believe. Why on earth would they?

JOD8FY

5. cesar thread starter macrumors member

I think Pixar is migrating to Apple Hardware .... that would be a great pro article... how did Pixar switch from WIndows and Linux to Panther ...

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Pixar used x86 computer because they were faster at rendering. Macs have better multi-tasking though.

Oh, not to mention Jobs had Pixar before being rehired to Apple. I think.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Pixar bought a custom x86 renderfarm running Linux to render Finding Nemo. The speed of a renderfarm is dominated by the number of nodes. Irrespective of the type of processor used, the vendor can dial-in the speed of the farm by adding nodes. The type of processor will determine how easy or difficult it is to do that. At any rate, technology improves so quickly that a new renderfarm may be used for each new film. Because the software is Linux-based, it is a relatively easy to port it to whatever hardware is used. Quite frankly, the arguments about Macs/Windows/x86/PPC/CISC/RISC are really irrevelant here.

8. Doraemon macrumors 6502

True. He bought Pixar in 1986 from George Lucas.

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

A couple of good reasons.
    1: They use some software that isn't/wasn't available on Mac. This especially includes Renderman, from what I hear, which is now available on Mac but only as of recently.
    2: Most of Pixar's machines were purchased pre-G5. Let's face it, the G4 was just not cost effective for things like rendering.