Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
interesting, I'm looking to sell my Surface 3 (my usage has outgrown it, unfortunately), and will be either looking to the iPad Pro or Surface Pro 4 (both are equally pleasing, and I have no idea if I'll be able to handle the big iPad or not).

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Too much for an android tablet, a used Surface Pro 3 would be a much better option

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Pretty nice. I'm disappointed that Google's keyboard cover doesn't include a trackpad even though Android supports pointing devices. I suppose this is a GOOD thing since I just bought an Air 2 (after being disappointed by what the iPad Pro is) and the Pixel C doesn't meet my requirements so I don't have buyer's remorse. :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What is the point of this device? Did they have anyone on stage demonstrating software for it?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Trackpads are crappy even the Macbook ones. Google should license the trackpoint nub from Lenovo otherwise one can use a bluetooth or USB mouse on the Pixel C which is better than iPad's no mouse support. Almost upgraded from iPad 2 to iPad Air 2 on impulse but glad I tried it out in store since it lags for some sites like The Verge along with lack of background multitasking for admin work like SSH/telnet/RDP/etc., the design defects with screen distortion holding the back, speaker vibration, worse productivity apps selection, etc. Android is closest to Windows 8.1/10 for productivity so it boils down to deciding on a Surface Pro 4 or a less expensive Pixel C which is close enough.

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
Not really interested in an Android tablet right now, but I thought this looked great. I hope Apple replaces lightning with USB C on the next iPhone/iPad.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Trackpads are crappy even the Macbook ones. Google should license the trackpoint nub from Lenovo otherwise one can use a bluetooth or USB mouse on the Pixel C which is better than iPad's no mouse support. Almost upgraded from iPad 2 to iPad Air 2 on impulse but glad I tried it out in store since it lags for some sites like The Verge along with lack of background multitasking for admin work like SSH/telnet/RDP/etc., the design defects with screen distortion holding the back, speaker vibration, worse productivity apps selection, etc. Android is closest to Windows 8.1/10 for productivity so it boils down to deciding on a Surface Pro 4 or a less expensive Pixel C which is close enough.

I don't mind Trackpads at all. The good ones. But I would love if other manufacturers implement the trackpoint numb. It's just so smooth.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I don't mind Trackpads at all. The good ones. But I would love if other manufacturers implement the trackpoint numb. It's just so smooth.
I've spent way too many years on a Trackpoint-equipped ThinkPad and it became my pointing device of choice. Motorola sells a bluetooth keyboard with an integrated trackpoint that I frequently use with my Android and Windows tablets.

As popular as it is among the Enterprise computing set, I think that the impression is that the average consumer would not want one.

Reactions: RickTaylor

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I would like to see this in person. It has potential. Usually, the 1st generation is pretty flawed. In time, it could be nice.

Right now, the keyboard attachment looks solid but a 10" tablet doesn't leave much room for a large keyboard.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
It's a android tablet that has an optional keyboard. It's still a mobile tablet so not sure why people are treating it like anything else.

Same goes for the Ipad "not so pro".

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
More nonsense Apple bashing from mi7chy; colour everyone surprised. The biggest question is given all the twisted missinformation you try to disseminate, why are you even on MacRumors ?

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
More nonsense Apple bashing from mi7chy; colour everyone surprised. The biggest question is given all the twisted missinformation you try to disseminate, why are you even on MacRumors ?

Yup. Lol at Mac trackpads being horrible. Pros and cons aside Mac trackpads are universally accepted as the standard.

Or how Apple makes high profit selling low tier devices. Apple really doesn't even highlight benchmarks but they're iPhone6s is packing some serious power both cpu and gpu. New drive controller for fast storage, a9, new gpu is basically walking everything out right now. Single core scores are in the 2400-2500 range (I honestly don't care but the jump is what's impressive). It's basically being benchmarked along a surface pro 3 lol.

I'm not really into 1st gen products but the iPad pro has to be pretty powerful with a a9x.

MRU awaiting your pics lol

Reactions: MRU and TechGod

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
$499 for the 32gb version is pretty steep. Yes, it does have good materials, but too high. Plus, you have to pay extra for the keyboard. Also, even though I like Android, it's still only a mobile os (limited functionality). For the price, you could get a Surface Pro 3 (at least, a used one).

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
$499 for the 32gb version is pretty steep. Yes, it does have good materials, but too high. Plus, you have to pay extra for the keyboard. Also, even though I like Android, it's still only a mobile os (limited functionality). For the price, you could get a Surface Pro 3 (at least, a used one).

Two different markets. The whole 'but this has a mobile OS' doesn't mean anything to most people. I have, and now quite often use, a SP3. I don't do anything in it that I wouldn't be able to do on a mobile OS.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I think it's cool but it's just more Android. I'd probably be a bit more interested if it ran ChomeOS then I could crouton it and have a tablet and a desktop OS

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
http://www.zdnet.com/article/report...=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

We shall see... With rumors that it's a 10" tablet, I'm not so sure on the iPad Pro market?

There is PLENTY of Room for Anyone, like Google to Come in with a 9.7 inch (iPad Air Size tablet) At a Lower Price Point that can do More, and has more features than the iPad Pro.

Look at the Cost Structure $800 base ipad pro + the Pencil Stylus $100 Thats $900 easily over $1,000 after Tax

Anyone can come in with a Tablet priced at $599 which includes some type of Stylus

IMO, this is even better and you can buy it today

https://www.asus.com/us/Tablets/ASUS_ZenPad_S_80_Z580CA/ scroll to the bottom

the Pen is only $30 and at $299 this is what most parents will get their Kids who want a iPad Pro its an option

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Pixel C reminds me of this:

hp_tc1100_notebook.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.