Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
What makes something "pro" device in 2015?
Great question! What makes the iPad Pro a "Pro" device? At least Microsoft got it right with the Surface Pro 3. It is running a full desktop OS with more ports to offer more functionality. It has USB, Mini Display Headphone ports to go along with the charging port.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
For a device to be successful in the business environment (which is where the surface, ipad pro and probably this device are aimed) they need 3 things - decent (as in size) screen, keyboard and a mouse. The mouse is the single biggest productivity enhancement on any device. Try using a tablet of any kind for typing a document or editing a spreadsheet without a mouse and it will drive you nuts when you have to go back up a couple of lines to correct something.

Stick a Bluetooth mouse on this tablet and you've got a pretty good solution. Add in all the apps that are available and it's not bad at all.

Reactions: jamezr

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
IMHO the issue here is the same as the issue on the iPad Pro there is no access to the file system though in Androids case I think there's an app for that.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Looks like nice hardware, but what's the point when Google has basically abandoned the tablets on the software side?

I've spent way too many years on a Trackpoint-equipped ThinkPad and it became my pointing device of choice. Motorola sells a bluetooth keyboard with an integrated trackpoint that I frequently use with my Android and Windows tablets.

As popular as it is among the Enterprise computing set, I think that the impression is that the average consumer would not want one.

I was a trackpoint fan for years, but even in an office of ~50 Thinkpads, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who willingly used them. And even I have to admit that I now prefer the new trackpads on the newest Thinkpads. Still not quite as good as on a Mac, but surprisingly decent. I like having the option of the trackpoint for when I am mostly typing, but for general use, I default to the trackpad. Other brands had them for years, but like the Apple trackpad, nobody ever implemented them as well as the Thinkpad.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
$499 for the 32gb version is pretty steep. Yes, it does have good materials, but too high. Plus, you have to pay extra for the keyboard. Also, even though I like Android, it's still only a mobile os (limited functionality). For the price, you could get a Surface Pro 3 (at least, a used one).

Don't understand this logic at all. The iPad Air 2 starts at $499 w/ only 16GB of storage (ridiculuous on a tablet :eek:). This has comparable specs, build, etc. Sure there are cheaper Android tabs but for the most part, their build materials and quality are pure crap. This looks simply like the Android counterpart to the iPad and IMO, looks great and reasonably priced.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Honestly, the Samsung Galaxy Note pro 12.2 is by far the best/most powerful Android tablet IMO. It offers everything from split screen multitasking, S-Pen, Office Pro abilities for a solid price of 32GB at $650 or 64GB at $750. Does everything the iPad Pro does at 12.2' instead of 12.9'

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Honestly, the Samsung Galaxy Note pro 12.2 is by far the best/most powerful Android tablet IMO. It offers everything from split screen multitasking, S-Pen, Office Pro abilities for a solid price of 32GB at $650 or 64GB at $750. Does everything the iPad Pro does at 12.2' instead of 12.9'
Good points. I was a bit surprised by the lack of multi-window support for the Pixel C. Samsung's implementation is quite good.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Don't understand this logic at all. The iPad Air 2 starts at $499 w/ only 16GB of storage (ridiculuous on a tablet :eek:). This has comparable specs, build, etc. Sure there are cheaper Android tabs but for the most part, their build materials and quality are pure crap. This looks simply like the Android counterpart to the iPad and IMO, looks great and reasonably priced.

Well, iPad sales are diminishing. While not all attributed to price, it is a factor. And, that with apple fans who are not as price conscious. Also, the few reviews I've read all state that as a tablet alone, it's only so-so. Conversely, the iPad is considered a great stand alone tablet (for the record, I have the Galaxy Note Pro 12 that is fantastic with the s-pen, office, and mouse support. Unfortunately, as nice as I think it is, it hasn't sold a great deal. The initial price was a big factor plus the mobile os has more limitations). Yes, like the pixel chromebooks, it has excellent build materials. But, how many of the higher priced pixel cbs have sold?

As I stated in an earlier post, the Pixel C has potential. I just don't see it being a big seller with the entry price point of @ $650 (with keyboard).

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I seem to be able to remember a more rational time in the Windows fandom. Or am I just making that up?

No, I think you are right. When I bought my Surface Pro 3 last year for work, I began wading into the Surface forums to learn everything I could about it. I consider myself pro-Apple but pretty even-keeled because I own, use, and support all sorts of devices. IMO the pro-Microsoft brigade is WAY worse than the Apple fanboys here. They aren't tolerant of any dissenting opinion, and vitriolic with their reactions.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I seem to be able to remember a more rational time in the Windows fandom. Or am I just making that up?
No not making it up, but perhaps faded memories. I can't remember a time when the Windows community was reasonably tolerant of dissenting opinions. Whether it was the Casio Cassiopeia days, Pocket PC, Zune, etc. it's been the same through the years.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Good points. I was a bit surprised by the lack of multi-window support for the Pixel C. Samsung's implementation is quite good.

Android M does have the "highly experimental" multi window function that has to be enabled from the developer options. May or may not be included. We'll have to wait and see

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Hmmmm could be a cool tablet, we'll see. Been looking for another Android tab but not much out there except the new Sammy devices I like but I prefer rooting and roming and not sure what Sammy tabs look like now for that.

Trackpads are crappy even the Macbook ones. Google should license the trackpoint nub from Lenovo otherwise one can use a bluetooth or USB mouse on the Pixel C which is better than iPad's no mouse support. Almost upgraded from iPad 2 to iPad Air 2 on impulse but glad I tried it out in store since it lags for some sites like The Verge along with lack of background multitasking for admin work like SSH/telnet/RDP/etc., the design defects with screen distortion holding the back, speaker vibration, worse productivity apps selection, etc. Android is closest to Windows 8.1/10 for productivity so it boils down to deciding on a Surface Pro 4 or a less expensive Pixel C which is close enough.
I'm not the biggest Apple fan, hell got rid of all devices except my MacBook Pros (even got rid of Mac Pro). But I have to disagree there and pry 99.9% of others, the track pads are nice and one of the main things I love about the MacBook. I think that's the first time I've read or heard someone say the trackpad is crappy?!? I've used Trackpoint and wife's work Lenovo has it, to me it's annoying and awkward.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I'm waiting to see the reviews and whether or not the Tegra X1 chip delivers without overheating issues. But, if this pans out, I'll be selling my Air 2 and replacing it with the Pixel C.

Apple is just too limited for my needs. Way to restrictive on file system access, document and media file types that can be used/downloaded/emailed, not to mention games (with controller usage) are still nothing more than an afterthought for Apple. I also hate the dead icon after icon in a row layout on Apple products. It annoys me to no end that they still haven't changed this.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Sleek looking device and on paper it does look like the very best offering for an android tablet this year. Still adding an official keyboard doesn't do much to fuel the idea of these tablets with mobile os's being anything more than niche productivity devices.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Hmmmm could be a cool tablet, we'll see. Been looking for another Android tab but not much out there except the new Sammy devices I like but I prefer rooting and roming and not sure what Sammy tabs look like now for that.

I'm not the biggest Apple fan, hell got rid of all devices except my MacBook Pros (even got rid of Mac Pro). But I have to disagree there and pry 99.9% of others, the track pads are nice and one of the main things I love about the MacBook. I think that's the first time I've read or heard someone say the trackpad is crappy?!? I've used Trackpoint and wife's work Lenovo has it, to me it's annoying and awkward.

Don't mind it, he's forever bashing apple and everything they do. Mac trackpads are one thing most people feel are one of the best, if not the best out there. There's things I don't like about Apple but I can't deny the trackpad.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I think he said trackpads are crappy even the Apple ones. That would imply that he doesn't like trackpads including the Apple trackpad, that's not a dig at Apple that's a dig at trackpads. I don't like mice and think they're crappy does that mean I don't like Apple because they have a mouse?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
He has a reading comprehension issue. I don't like trackpads in general since they all have palm rejection issues including Macbooks and the work flow is better with Thinkpad Trackpoint nub since I don't have to move my fingers away from home keys. I type around 120 wpm so having to constantly move my hands away is a waste of time.

Anyhow, looking forward to the Pixel C since it's good to have more premium tablet options than Galaxy Tab S2. How well the Pixel C competes is determined by performance, heat and LCD quality in regards to black level and backlight bleed.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
He has a reading comprehension issue. I don't like trackpads in general since they all have palm rejection issues including Macbooks and the work flow is better with Thinkpad Trackpoint nub since I don't have to move my fingers away from home keys. I type around 120 wpm so having to constantly move my hands away is a waste of time.

Anyhow, looking forward to the Pixel C since it's good to have more premium tablet options than Galaxy Tab S2. How well the Pixel C competes is determined by performance, heat and LCD quality in regards to black level and backlight bleed.

Well I guess me mru and surferman suffer from this comprehension issue. Apologies we're just used to you forever bashing Apple and everything they make/do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.