Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
A client wants this "digital fragmentation" look where his face slowly breaks off into mosaic. It's not like a solid mosaic but it's like the guy is made of pixels and the wind him blowing away.

I was wondering if there was a filter for this?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
7on said:
A client wants this "digital fragmentation" look where his face slowly breaks off into mosaic. It's not like a solid mosaic but it's like the guy is made of pixels and the wind him blowing away.

I was wondering if there was a filter for this?
No way man, this is going to be a complex animation. You're going to need to do layering (i.e. background+his face), and then particle animation to guide the pieces of his face off ina wind-like manner. That's about all i can tell you, i've never done this before... but unfortunately, there is no filter to carry out this task.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Well it is a poster so no animation.

Guess I'll just have to put my nose to the grindstone then.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Well this is from the most recent Nine Inch Nails album:
nin_with_teeth_trent.jpg

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
7on said:
Well it is a poster so no animation.

Guess I'll just have to put my nose to the grindstone then.
Maybe first a pixelate filter to make it look pixelated, then do a vectorize on it (last I saw this filter was in macromedia flash) so the big pixels are changed to square vectors that you can click and drag out of place to make an effect like leaves blowing away (I'm guessing thats what the client wants?)
If the client wants slowly more pixelated, then you could pixelate at different sizes, vecotrize then layer them...

Just my rambling.:)

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
There is no easy way to do this if you want some quality results. I did something similar at the ad agency i used to work for and you'll need a 3D app to do it.

What we did was overlay a basic 3d head on top of the models head to match the measurements and position and then used the explosion FX filter to it.
Then we took the gray model to Photoshop and manually painted the tiny corresponding face part to the each flying particle. Took me a whole week to do! We used Cinema4D for this and as i said this is not as easy as the client seems to think, so get C4D if you don't have it and charge it on him! ;)
Here is an early screenshot of the head, i don't have the finished one but is it something similar to this you want?

Attachments

• face4.jpg
    face4.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 122

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
this sounds simple to me.

you'd need multiple layers of the face, each one pixellated more and more, blending between the layers as they get to the edge of the face.

as for the wind blowing them away... i think you'd have to manually move some pixels around. now that could take some time. or maybe you can play with the warp or wind filters in PS.

let us know how this goes, i'd be interested to see how you solve this. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.