Pixel issues on 24" Imacs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by levitynyc, Oct 1, 2006.

1. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I own a 32" LCD TV and I have 2 stuck pixels. I can only see them if I look for them from around 12" or closer.

I am a little worried that a 24" iMac could have some dead or stuck pixels and since its an AIO, you can't just replace the screen.

For those of you with Imacs, how many of you have dead or stick pixels on your screen?

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

i dont have an imac but my neighbor has two and he doenst have any stuck pixels, and i have never heard of an imac with them.

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

You can always just have Apple replace it if there are too many.

Besides I am not getting your argument. It would take just as much work to replace the panel in a regular LCD as it would to put a new panel in a iMac.

You could replace the screen in the AIO, but what is the point when it is under warranty and Apple DOA coverage?

4. Shai-Nadir macrumors newbie

It seems that dead pixels are a little more common on the new 24" imacs. I have one on mine and there seem to be quite a few on the apple support forums that have them as well but then again its only the people who have them that do the complaining. Luckily, mine is close to the left border and is only noticeable on black screens and if i'm sitting closer than a foot away.

Regarding Apple replacing the screen, that is highly unlikely unless there are multiple (5+ I'm guessing so dont quote me) dead pixels. Unfortunately, one dead pixel or two is considered to be acceptable so it wont warrant a new screen even if you have Applecare.

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

WTH? Dead and stuck pixels are completely normal with LCD displays. Sure they are rare but you can't say "i have never heard of an imac with them" like that means anything.

OP you may or may not get dead or stuck pixels with your computer. It is basically luck of the draw. If you do and you find it unacceptable you can try to get the machine replaced. Apple have some really weird dead pixel policies something like 6 bright stuck pixels or 8 dead pixels before they will exchange a display, _BUT_ if you have even 1 stuck pixel in the middle of the display they will replace it. Sometimes it can be as easy as speaking to someone nice and they'll do you a favour.

Dead pixels are rare though so don't assume you are going to get them. In the last few years I've had many notebooks, many displays including 3 AL ACDs, and 2 iMacs. Only 1 notebook had dead and stuck pixels, this was my MBP I rang the store and told them that I found it impossible to do my job with them there and they replaced the display for me.

6. Edge100 macrumors 68000

If you have even ONE dead pixel, I would take it back, irrespective of what Apple's policy is.

The sold you a computer with a screen that had a specific number of pixels. If you have ONE dead one, they have not given you the product you paid for. Apple does NOT tell you their policy before you buy an LCD screen, and for good reason: it might decrease the number of people buying them, forcing Apple to charge more for better QC.

Yes, guaranteeing a perfect LCD would increase the cost of the screen, but consumers HAVE TO hold the companies responsible for their products. My iMac (20") has no dead pixels, but if it gets one while its within Applecare (I will be buying the 2 year extension), you can be sure I'll be getting a replacement.

7. bossass macrumors regular

8. Supersonic macrumors regular

You have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a replacement for ONE pixel...there is a ISO quality tolerance related to the total pixel count and i would guess at 24" you'd be looking at 5+ before it'd be considered faulty.

Edit - Check out ISO 13406 issues and tolerances at http://www.new-monitors.co.uk/pixel.pdf where you'll see for a 1900x1200 pixel monitor, around 6 pixels is below standard.

One though......hohohoh...no hope sonny

9. nodabs macrumors regular

i just got my 24" iMac on Saturday... i was definitely expecting at least one stuck pixel on a screen that size, however there are none!! :D

10. page3 macrumors 6502

...unless you are in the UK, in which case you can reject the goods as faulty - whatever they claim to the an 'allowable threshold'. I speak from personal experience as Technical Support Manager for a large-volume retailer.

11. Shai-Nadir macrumors newbie

When I first got my imac, i didnt see any dead pixels but lo and behold a week later, one appeared. I was seriously debating to whether to keep it or send it back but it is not noticeable so I decided to keep it.

12. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Bummer

I have had my lovely 24inch for almost 3 weeks - and last night for the first time I was waiting for my game to load and the screen went black - and I noticed 3 dead pixels. Probably not enough to send the thing back, but we'll see because they are kind of close to the middle of the screeen.

Besides that the machine is amazing and it blasts away any PC I have used before (this is my first Mac). With the resolution as high as it is it is hard to notice, but I'm a little picky!

What do you reckon? Give them a call?

13. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

My PowerBook had one stuck pixel and Apple exchanged it without question. Be polite but firm. ;)

14. nodabs macrumors regular

Ahhh!! Don't tell me stories like this... haha I wouldn't mind a stuck pixel as long as it wasn't plainly visible or in a really noticable spot :rolleyes:

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good advice Southernboy. :)

16. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

It's worse than I thought!

To add to my earlier post (I was at work when I posted) - I went home and put a black screen on the 'ol 24 incher, and found 7 dead pixels! :(

So, with that in mind and my inexperience in dealing with Apple for this sort of stuff, can you lend me some advice as to what I should do? Do I just call the regular Apple line and then they give me an authorisation or something like that?

17. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Just send the monitor back in on its own for replacement... oh, it's an iMac... :rolleyes:

18. nodabs macrumors regular

HAHAHA... one of my favorite things and biggest complaints about the iMac :rolleyes:

19. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

Can they just replace the screen?

20. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Simply call the Apple support line and explain that your machine has 7 dead pixels that are getting in the way of work. You'd be ok if it were 1 or 2 in a corner, but that it's just too much.

As stated before, be respectful and kind, but firm in your decision.

21. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

You would be in the same boat if you only had one display.

22. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

What if he customized the item? Is it still eligible for replacement?

23. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Actually, I'm about to call the Apple store right now to talk about what I should do... I'll keep you posted.

I even used a magnifying glass last night to check my monitor in the dark (sounds a bit loser-ish I know). I have over a dozen dead pixels. I'm not mad though!

And my machine is custom built, so I don't know what they are going to say, but I will come back shortly!

24. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

25. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Well, tech support gave me a case number, and I have to take it to a local authorized repairer down the streeet and they will look at it to see if they will need to replace it, or it meets the 'specifications' and they will leave it at that. I'm going to call them and take it in tomorrow morning.

I hope they replace it, 13 pixels is a little bit much for me (considering I paid $3000 taxes inc. for this machine).