Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Hi.I just purchased a shuttle lcd monitor.I took it out of the box and prayed to the lcd gods for no dead or lit pixels.lo and behold one bright yellow or white pixel in the corner.Does any have a problem like this and is fine with it.will there be more?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
It's not uncommon for LCD monitors to have a dead pixel... having one dead pixel does not mean that there will be others, though. That one pixel is defective (either it doesn't work, or it's stuck ON). Since each pixel on the screen uses three color elements, the problem may be with just one of the three elements... or it could be all three.

If this problem is occurring on a new out of the box monitor, and if it bothers you enough to want to try to do something about it, you can contact your vendor and see if they'll replace the monitor. However, they may want you to pay the return shipping, and there's no guarantee that the new monitor won't also have a dead pixel or two. (CDW let me exchange a Sony LCD with a blown pixel several years ago. They were very nice about it, and I still have the replacement monitor they sent me. FWIW, my other Sony, a 23" LCD, has no problems at all.)

A lot of vendors require a large (10 or more) number of pixels to be defective before they will regard the monitor as defective, so you may not have any options other than to try to ignore it.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
clayjohanson said:
A lot of vendors require a large (10 or more) number of pixels to be defective before they will regard the monitor as defective, so you may not have any options other than to try to ignore it.

apple for one. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.