Pixel Problems W/Macbook Pro 17' C2D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Makaveli1132, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Makaveli1132 macrumors newbie

I was ecstatic to receive my MacBook Pro today and I boot it up go through the making of my account, get all the programs working, etc. Then all of a sudden I notice this little dot on my screen and the problem is that it's visible when the background is white. The pixel seems red but isn't noticeable under blue or red screens. I'm not sure if this goes under a dead pixel or just a stuck one.

At the moment I'm running the widget that flashes the screen different colors and made sure it flashes only in the area of the pixel. I called Apple and of course they told me that all screens aren't perfect and that if they were screen costs would skyrocket, yada yada yada. In essence he told me I have to take it to a Apple Store and have a technician look at it and determine if the problem is sufficient enough to warrant a replacement. Lucky for me that I received my computer today and that I go home to Chicago on saturday giving me enough time to take it to the Apple store and having it sent back if they deem it so. This really sucks because I'm a freshman college student who has just layed down $2800 for a new computer and on top of that had to wait extra to receive it and I just don't have that kind of money for me to be getting defective equipment.

Anyways I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions, are having similar problems, or have had similar problems and what you guys did about it. Thanks!

-Cesar

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Try rubbing it with a little eraser to see if it will go away. No real basis for it except some say the heat from the friction will melt the liquid crystal that is stuck yada yada... :rolleyes:

Be thankful you can even get a replacement, seriously. I wouldn't speak too soon about "blah blah blah, have to wait a longer time to get a replacement" until the store has given me the confirmation that yes, I will indeed qualify for a replacement.

Wait till he says something like "We require 3 dead pixels before we give a replacement" and then you will know what's worse than laying down 3 grand and waiting a long time for a "non defective" machine.

3. iBorg20181 macrumors 6502

iBorg20181

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That is truly terrible advice! Rubbing an eraser on an LCD screen would likely damage the surface, which would not be covered by warranty, and then you're screwed .... "Melt the liquid crystal?" :eek: Perhaps a blow-torch would be next?

The general advice for "stuck" pixels is to gently "massage" the screen with a finger (wash the oils from your hands first), and sometimes it will "unstick."

I don't have the numbers for Apple's replacement policy for bad pixels, but it's something in the order of 5 or 6, less if they're contiguous, or in the center viewing are of your screen. Every notebook manufacturer has similar policy, and typically won't replace for 1 or 2 bad pixels.

Good luck - hope you're successful in fixing it!

iBorg

4. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

I believe Apple will replace it if you tell them it is a "stuck red pixel(s)". A red dot really stands out. Emphasis that and I have a feeling they will replace or repair it.

5. Makaveli1132 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think I was clear in my post, but whether or not I get a replacement depends on what the technician says. It isn't for sure that I will get a replacement and to be honest from what the apple rep told me it doesn't seem very likely. I never said that I'd have to wait for the replacement I meant I had to wait past that 7-10 business day shipping thing that apple lied about, but thanks guys for the advice and yeah it's really annoying to be watching something white and have that nagging red dot there.

6. knowledg333 macrumors member

I received my MBP yesterday, also a 17, and I have a single red pixel that is near the center of the screen. I'm pretty annoyed after waiting almost 3 weeks to get this laptop. I'm going to fight hard to get it replaced or fixed, because I think this is absolutely unacceptable for the top of the line laptop (no matter what the standards for LCDs are). I have the applecare extended warranty too, and if they still do nothing I will have to see about returning it and getting my money back... And then buying a new one...again.

*sigh*

7. jrea macrumors newbie

If you only got it today, can't you just return it for a replacement as you're within your 14 days --- or doesn't it work like that in the US?

8. knowledg333 macrumors member

I was not allowed to get a replacement, but they did authorize a return. I really would have liked to get this one fixed....but now I have to go through the buying and waiting process all over again.

9. volantlimited macrumors newbie

Massage

I had a pixel go bad on my 17" MPB, and I got it back into working order by doing the whole rubbing it softly until it started working again. If it goes out again I will surely let ya'll know. MBP!!! Hells yeah!

10. sirip macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my Imac!
    But I didn´t noticed it until I changed my background picture to a bw one, and this was more than 14 days after I bought it.
    I cann´t believe how many people have this same issue.