Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2015
I need to get an image editing program, no bear with me as I am a complete novice here, not having used anything extensively since deluxe paint III on the Amiga many decades(?) ago.

I wish to clean up old scanned photos, remove dust and scratches etc. I also want to be able to create simple graphics and icons for websites (so scalar gfx creation would be good here too)

From what I can tell Pixel matter and Acorn seem to be the front runners. Pixelmator seems to have more favourable reviews but Acorn gets reviewed well too.

Any recommendations either way?

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
I've used Pixelmator for a long time and loved it for those kinda simple tasks.. Although I have to say, it's not worth 30,- anymore now that Affinity Photo is around for 50,-.

If you can wait a while and pick up Pixelmator at discounted price for like 12,50 that would be nice. ( Pixelmator goes on sale pretty often ) If not, and you're really going to spend 30,- than my advice would be invest 20,- more and buy Affinity Photo because it's a lot better all rounded. Both apps have some basic tutorial videos online you can check out to get yourself started.

Reactions: JackRoch

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2015
Okay that looks interesting, I hadn't really considered that one. I'll take a look. Thanks.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Although it seem to only do photos and no vector stuff?
Acorn and Pixelmator have some drawing tools, although not as much as Designer, iDraw, Illustrator, etc. Acorn has a new version; it might have more tools for text but I haven't tried it. Canvas Draw has come back; it's got a lot of vector stuff and can retouch photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.