Pixels concern

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tinydragon123, Nov 30, 2005.

1. tinydragon123 macrumors member

My iBook accidently fell on the carpet floor with the screen open and the back of the screen hit the floor. I was worried that the screen could be damaged so I downloaded Pixel check. I found out that I have 2 dead pixels together on the mid-right side of my screen and when I tested the different colors (green, red, blue and white) everything was okay. However, when I went to black, I saw pixels that were still green, blue, and red; I have around 15-20 of them.

I really don't know what to do. Can anyone help me please?

Will AppleCare cover this? And do I have to tell them that I dropped my iBook?

Thanks.

2. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

3. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

First try "massaging" the pixels, sometimes it gets them unstuck.
    Another thing you can try is one of those dead pixel videos that flash colors on the screen at the hope of unstucking the pixel.
    Apple care might cover it, but DO NOT TELL THEM YOU DROPPED IT.
    Apple care does not cover accidental damage, but if you tell them "It came that way" they might get you a replacement.

Anyhow, look on the bright side. Atleast you did not damage any of its internal components or crack the screen.

4. tinydragon123 thread starter macrumors member

Do you think they will believe me if I "just discovered" that I had stuck pixels when I tried out Pixel Check?

Should I call them or go to the Apple Store?

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I've always had some very faint pixels that like to remain other colors over black...I have no idea what causes them and I've noticed them on other monitors as well. I don't think it has anything to do with dropping them. I've dropped my iBook twice, but I noticed them all before dropping it.

7. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

If you ibook is new you could say that you noticed it when you watched a movie. If you do take it to the apple store dont mention anything about it being damaged or no return or repair.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Dead pixels show up most often when I'm watching movies...so that's a very valid argument. The constantly changing backgrounds make them very obvious. :rolleyes:

9. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

If it's still under warranty, take the computer in and have them look at your display. Run Pixel Check and show them all the dead/stuck pixels.

From what you've written, it sounds like you have an inordinate number of pixel anomalies. This is something that Apple might resolve/repair for you under their guidelines.

10. tinydragon123 thread starter macrumors member

I have had my iBook since the end off June and my iBook is still under AppleCare.

But I highly doubt that I just notice the stuck pixels when watching a movie will convince them since my iBook is 5 months old.

11. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I think they will fix the display regardless of its age as long as its under apple care because i remember reading somewhere that the minimum amount of dead pixels required for a repair is like 5 or 7 and you have 15.
    Also it might work, not everyone watches dvds on their laptops.
    But you'll never know until you try. After all isint that why you got applecare in the first place.

12. tinydragon123 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I was curious, do stuck pixels (green, blue, etc) count the same as dead pixels? It's because I have 2 dead pixels and a lot of stuck ones. Also, is Apple going to do a close examination to see if I damaged my iBook for not? And if they will charge me to look at my iBook?

By the way, how long does it take for Apple to fix the pixels because I am going to need my iBook for school projects next week.

Thanks to everyone for your posts and time to help me with my problem. I really appreciate it.

13. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I don't think anybody knows that. It's all up to Apple's discretion to examine it or not. Just don't say you dropped it, but other than that, take it in. Their turn around time is usually really good. I had a damaged iMac with a bad superdrive...took the thing in Friday...and by Sunday it was fixed, even though the Superdrive wasn't in stock and they had to order it.

Your turn around time may be different though...

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm not going to say where I found out, but the minimum number of stuck pixels is less than 10. As for getting it repaired, they might figure out that you dropped it (scuff marks, internal stuff), so if they do, don't try putting up a fight.

15. tinydragon123 thread starter macrumors member

Oh. Well, there aren't any marks or any dramatic scratches that shows that I dropped it. But there are those hairline natural scratches that occured overtime.

16. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Are you going to take it in?
    If so let us know what happens.