Pixlet is our friend

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by agreenster, Sep 29, 2003.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I've been reading up on what will be one of the new Quicktime Codec's debuting in Panther, our little friend Pixlet. Being in the entertainment business, I feel this little codec will be a godsend in reducing the filesizes of rendered movies, clearing up diskspace and streamline the editing process.

However, many people have already realized that Pixlet will also have another use: DVD pirating at a whole new level.

Check it out:

http://homepage.mac.com/macsatin/C1255802821/E1509052356/

I must say that aside from a new Finder and a couple tweaks of the OS, Pixlet is the thing I am most excited about about OS10.2

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

yeah pixlet should be pretty sweet. I think that it requires a pretty strong computer to do the compression though, I could be wrong.

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Pixlet is our friend

I think he's mistaken. Pixlet has the same compression ratio as DV. It's just higher quality.

I'm not sure where he got the numbers from... but I would be tht 6GB movie down to 250MB is only like 10 seconds long or something like that. :)

arn

4. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Re: Re: Pixlet is our friend

He got the 6GB -> 250MB from the Panther Preview info on Apple's site. I agree that it probably wouldn't make a DVD movie at high quality fit into a 250MB file, as that's not even the point of Pixlet in the first place.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Re: Re: Pixlet is our friend

yep...

"similar to DV rates"

DV => 12GB/hour.

So that means a two hour movie is 24GB. Sure, the quality rocks in Pixlet. But you are not going to be downloading that thing.

arn