.pk3 files

Discussion in 'Games' started by daleslad, Jan 1, 2005.

1. daleslad macrumors member

Any Mac gamers out there know anything about working with .pk3 files.
    I'm in the process of modifying a sniper scope and I'm running into some probems. I've searched the internet for tutorials for modding etc. but the only ones I can find are for PC's and using software that won't work on the Mac.

I am working with Stuffit and Photoshop so any help with this would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

A .pk3 file is just a zip archive, so you can simply use Stuffit Expander to open it up. Once you get into it, you will probably see alot of folders... you can search through there and find basically everything in the game, from sounds to crosshairs to models. Most everything is in PNG (I think?) so you should just be able to edit that with Photoshop, as long as you stick to the format that it was saved in. Also, note that once you edit and re-zip the pk3 file, you will not be able to use it online because of hacker protection in the form of PK3 hash checking.

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

My limited experience of .pk3's is this:

They are infact .zips

A year ago when I messed around with this I saw that the .zip HAD to be compressed by a PC because stuffit zips were not compatible. That was on jaguar, I'm not sure about currently in panther.

4. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

I think they are multi volume zips (old days when you haf floppies) ... Unzip the main xxx.zip file and it will look for the other "pks"

5. daleslad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks crazyeddie for the information. I've no problem opening them up and rezipping and renaming it as a .pk3 file I'm running into a problem getting them to work once I've modded them. The files I am working with are in targa format and can be worked ok on Photoshop. I'm not sure I agree with you though about not being able to use them online. I admit I don't know a thing about PK3 hash checking but I did get mine to work once but not a second time. I also was able to get a modified scope to work on multiplayer that a friend of mine had modded on his PC and sent to me.
    Anyhow I don't know what I'm doing wrong that causes it not to work even on single player.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

It could be the re-zipping process that isn't working. Try doing a Google search for something like "OS X zip PK3." Also, its possible that your PK3 files might work online, but don't be surprised if you start getting kicked for "PK3 Mismatch" errors and the like.

7. daleslad thread starter macrumors member

I finally got the mod to work ok and I've tried it on multiplayer and so far there doesn't seem to be a problem with it.