pkg and mpkg's aren't working?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheLee, Nov 21, 2006.

1. TheLee macrumors member

I use NeoOffice, and a new patch came out, so I downloaded it. I mounted the .dmg file, and then double-clicked on the pkg file, as I do, except instead of executing an installation, I got PackageMaker opening it. I didn't think much of it, passing it off as to the patch being messed up for some reason, until earlier today, when I downlaoded the ADC reference library update from apple. Mounted the .dmg file as normal, double-clicked on the mpkg file, and again, isntead of executing an installation, I got PackageMaker opening it. Surely Apple wouldn't mess something up like that, right? So that leads me to believe that something got really screwy on my computer... but I can't think of anything that would've remotely had that effect.

Help!

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Ctrl-click and open with /Applications/Utilities/Installer (or drag the pkg to Installer if you prefer)

Assuming that all goes well, you can use the Finder's get Info on any .pkg to set that back as the preferred program for all files with that extension.

3. TheLee thread starter macrumors member

Uh, I don't have Installer... I have i-Installer, but dragging it to that or trying to open a package with it doesn't seem to do anything.

I tried using Get Info to see what apps were used to open it, but the only app listed is PackageMaker.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

That would be a problem. You can recover it from your system CDs with Pacifist.

5. TheLee thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! That worked perfectly.

Though I'm curious... what could've happened that I would've suddenly lost such an important app?

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

In the words of every techy....User error...Apps don't delete themselves. Did you buy this machine used? Do other people use it?