Places in the US you would like to see revived

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leekohler, Dec 14, 2006.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I just mentioned Saltair (in Salt Lake City), Utah in a different thread along with Asbury Park, NJ, (which is being rehabbed). Let's use our imaginations folks and tell me what abandoned town/place you think should be rehabbed, remade, etc. I personally think Detroit should rise again, given the music and culture that comes from that place. It's amazing. I also think LA is being reborn artistically. Any further thoughts?

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Phoenix. I'd like a real downtown. Not 3 bank towers and a bunch of empty, run down, crumbling apartments. Something worth going downtown for.

Since it will never happen, I'm fine with downtown Tempe right now.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Can you give me a link to some downtown Phoenix photos? Arizona seems like a place with potential.

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Arizona is a place with some potential, but none of it's going to downtown Phoenix. It's pretty much up to Tempe.

It's hard to find some that show what it is actually like. Most of the ones I'm finding try to make it look really exciting and busy. It isn't. Plus a lot of the ones I'm finding are actually of other cities in the Phoenix-metro area, like Scottsdale (which can be exciting. So many art events and home to one of the two art-house movie theatres in the Phoenix-metro area). Or the pictures are of Tempe. Tempe is home to ASU, so it's the most exciting city of the Phoenix-metro area. A lot of clubs, boutiques with really interesting things for sale, home to the second art-house movie theatre.

Downtown Phoenix: [​IMG]

Here are links to some more:

http://mishuna.image.pbase.com/g3/34/632034/2/55299820.DowntownPhoenix.jpg

http://www.hellophoenix.com/Images/Photos/662005s_Downtown_Phoenix.jpg

http://www.hellophoenix.com/Images/Photos/662005s_Phoenix_ends_desert_begins.jpg

To get an idea of how exciting downtown Phoenix is: The downtown ASU campus pretty much dies at 6pm. There is a movie theatre and an area called Copper Square open past then. There is a restaraunt and a bar there. If any of them want to go to any clubs or bars they need to take the bus to downtown Tempe.

Here is a picture of part of Mill Ave. in downtown Tempe. There is a lot more, but it's hard to find pictures of it:

[​IMG]

I should be getting a new camera for christmas, so I'll take some pictures next time I'm passing through Phoenix to get somewhere more exciting.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm waiting. ;)

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Tempe has obviously already arrived. I'm looking for places that suck, but have potential. ;) Think, "could be cool but isn't right now". :) For example, I live right next to this glorious place, http://www.planet99.com/chicago/tour/95.html, but it still needs to be repaired. In other words, it's not good now, but it could be. :) And if you think the outside looks cool, you should see the inside.

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Wow. Nice building.

I'd love to visit a real city and see all sorts of really cool buildings like that.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, it's been empty for the last 20+ years. And it's surrounded by more great places:

http://www.jamusa.com/riviera/venload.aspx
    http://www.aragon.com/

These places are within one block of the Uptown Theater. The excuses from the city are ridiculous: "oh no one will go there" to "it's too big to fill". Give me a break. This is Chicago, people will go. Especially when they find out that "Home Alone" was filmed there. Remember the piano sequence? Uptown Theater. John Hughes rented it out to look like a department store.

I just found a great link:

http://www.undercity.org/photos/Chicago_Uptown/index.htm

And you're thinking what we Chicagoans have been thinking for the last 20 years: How can this place still be empty? We would all go see events here. I've been donating cash to it for a decade. It's almost too beautiful- as if you can't believe it's in the US. It seems so European. But that's the sad part. The US was once a beautiful, amazing country before we tore all of it down in the name of efficiency and economy. There are still shades of it left and we can get it back, if we try. But we have to be willing to pay for it- that's the catch. The thing is- this used to be the US in a lot of cities, now it's left to a few like Chicago, NYC and LA. It should have never been that way. That's why places like Asbury Park fascinate me.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I think about this all the time too. I guess that's why I really want to visit (and live) in a larger city like NYC or Chicago. I'm sick of living in a city that is only suburban sprawl. That's what Phoenix is turning in to, if it already isn't there. I want my cities to be built tall with all sorts of opportunities for great architecture. I'd settle with anything that isn't cookie cutter homes like a lot of Phoenix.

10. railthinner macrumors regular

thanks for the link to the Uptown pics. I live right down the street, but I've never been inside. It's a bit heartbreaking. Hopefully when it does get renovated it's not just some horrible developer tearing it apart for condos. yikes.

Places that should be fixed up? How about the entire city of Detroit?
    http://www.forgottendetroit.com/

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Lee you'd be happy to see whats going on over by my neck of the city.

there once was a Shoemaker factory at Belomnt and Pulaski, but was abandoned and got horribly deteriorated and looked like utter crap. but now they are turning the whole thing into lofts, while keeping the entire outter structure intact and refinishing it. they finally put the windows in and are making good progress. there is a similar story just down the block too at another factory...

linky

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Coney Island. From what I've read and seen in Darren Aronofsky movies, Coney Island is still stuck in some sort of neo-Soviet time warp from the 1970s...

Roosevelt Island in NYC, too. See Dark Water for what I am talking about. All that sweet real estate and it's covered in (basically) slums.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm with you on Detroit, Lee. I personally think good things have slowly been happening in the recent past, but I love my old stomping grounds and I want to see it get more vibrant while keeping its spirit.

14. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I went to Detroit a couple of years ago to see the Lions play (as part of a football tour). It was strange to see how much cash was being pumped into the city in terms of building work etc (our cab driver told us it was being done for Super Bowl XL) but with so few people around in the streets. Very offputting place.

The other place I've visited that that I think could do with a revival is Buffalo. Again, I was surprised by the city and its apparent lack of vivacity - aside, of course, from around the Ralph Wilson stadium.

One city that I was astonished by in a different way was Cleveland. I'd expected it to be a run-down, quiet place but it was buzzing. Beautiful buildings and some great bars and restaurants with lots of life.

16. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

in the spirit of agreeing with most of what leekohler and it5five have said I think Phoenix is a great example.

Downtown Phoenix has some great historical neighborhoods like the willow and roosevelt districts, and Cave Creek, Old Town Scottsdale and Tempe are all cool neighborhoods. Unfortuantely they are all overshadowed by the suburban sprawl of beige houses with red roofs.

Verrado (west valley) is actually doing some really cool stuff and some of copper square, vistancia and marley park could be cool... but that is really a log shot and waits to be seen long term. I am looking for a new house now and I am actually leaning towards Old Town Scottsdale for just that purpose and I have no desire to live in a bland, boring sterile area.

- Doc

17. Southerner macrumors member

If you really want to see an awful, run-down, gritty and unhabitable (a place no one will want to move to) American downtown - try Newark, NJ.

I first heard of the place from "Friends" where it was mentioned so I was curious to see what's there. When I eventually visited NYC I also went over to Newark to have peek - I wish I didn't, it was such a dump!

Then I watched that Friends episode again - I realised that Rachel asked Ross if he wanted to go to Newark with her because she'd lost his pet monkey trying to divert his attention away from the loss. Obivously Rachel rather went to the crime-ridden hellhole of Newark than to face up to the consequences!

I feel foolish for visiting the place! :eek: :rolleyes:

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When a city is let go as far as Detroit was... it takes time and sustained effort. There are places in the city where you see lots of people walking around. There's a place within ten minutes' walk of that stadium. But it's going to be a long and arduous process to get it all to hang together.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Where did you used to hang out? When I was in college (back in the 80's, shut up) I sang in punk bands. We played at St. Andrews and Paychex a few times. I loved to hang out at this awesome club called Todd's on 7 Mile, but it's gone. :( Cityclub and Shelter were cool too. :)

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I know... perhaps offputting was the wrong word. It was just a little eerie in some parts of downtown with buildings painted to look like they were occupied etc - and lots of halfcompleted roads/buildings while we walked towards the stadium from the river. Some of the old buildings were beautifully ornate - it was just a shame that they were more or less derelict.

We did find areas with lots of people and we had a good time. What I did find cheering was that most of the people we talked to (the cab driver, our waiter, some of the fans at Ford Field) were incredibly positive about their city and the future.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, I hung out mostly in the Wayne State area, although we used to go to greektown sometimes and I worked in the financial district for a few months. But the Wayne area was where I spent most of my time. The group I volunteered with helping the homeless / low income individuals was near the south end of campus. There were a few pretty good places out in that direction, though...

22. Queso macrumors G4

Places in the US you would like to see revived

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue ;)

23. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

No kidding. Coney Island is undergoing a re-birth. Give it at least 5 more years. Such beautiful beach front property.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There are places not far from Newark that are much, much better. The Fort Lee/Edgewater area has been seeing a revival since the early 1990s, as rents are cheaper there than in NYC itself. Personally, I think living a bit further south around Edison would be much better and I'm sure a lot of people don't find it all that pleasant. People there probably don't notice the bad parts.

Obviously, New Orleans needs to be revived. There are a lot of cities in the rust belt that need repair and merchandising. Cincinnati, Ohio isn't a bad city but it's gone back and forth a lot. San Jose, California could use some help in the eastern section of the city.

The trouble with a lot of these places is lack of planning and lack of money but even when they get the money to do something, the planning wastes too much of it and doesn't yield the needed effect. Can you pay someone to care?

25. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

The slums of Brooklyn. From what I know they were never all that great.