Places to buy a Canon Digital Rebel.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jared_kipe, Nov 21, 2004.

1. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I think I will be getting a Digital Rebel soon, I am wondering if anybody knows where you can get a good cheap one. I am especially interested in the black one, but I can't find it at most online retailers. Is anybody interested in unloading theirs?

Thank you

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Be very careful if you're going outside of respected dealers like B&H. Some people have been taking advantage of the high demand for these cameras, and offering them for a few hundred less than anyone else - but then the buyer doesn't ever get a camera.

One flag is if they don't take the usual forms of payment, like credit cards or even PayPal.

Another flag is if their domain has only recently been registered. To check this, just open up Terminal and type "whois bhphotovideo.com" (replace bhphotovideo.com with the domain name for the site you're checking on.

It also helps to do some Google searches. If there are problems, you'll often find lots of complaints.

3. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Amazingly you can get it with a lens kit for right around 800 from a bunch of stores with good ratings at epinions and even ones that dpreview says to support.

A good example would be abesofmaine.com, they sell it for near 800, and as far as I can see, they look legit. I'm wary of a few because they have very similar web pages, but this one looks good. Here is the cnet page that is linked from dpreview.com. There are a bunch with heavily discounted ones. http://dpreview-cnet.com.com/4014-6...300D+-+Body+only)&part=dpreview-cnet&tag=4014

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You have to weigh the "costs" on trying to do things on the "cheap".

In a city like Seattle you should be able to find a dealer that sells the Black 300D. I work for a dealer that was told that only "specialty" camera stores were to offer the Black 300D.

I know for the shop I work for the "extra cost" for the Black 300D is only about $50.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Stay away from Broadway Photo and Infinity Cameras--they're the same organisation and apparently, never deliver.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Keep in mind there is a $100 on the Drebel (300D). And you can triple the rebate depending on the lenses you choose. See the Canon website for details.

7. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I am well aware of the rebates, however I will not be buying any lenses at the same time. I am curious as to what dealer you think I can find in seattle that would be selling a drebel (with lens kit) for 800-850usd, not to mention the savings in tax alone.

8. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Maybe if kit's or ritz will have a 15-20% discount after thanksgiving.

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Of all places, I saw one at WalMart last night. Considering the price, I would have never expected to see one there.

10. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Or better yet..

...Spend a bit (lot) more and get the 20D, its a much better camera overall. I'm saving my pennies for that instead, and I'm hoping it'll do a wee price drop over the next few months

11. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Please stop trying to get me to spend double what I will be spending. I don't hear much , don't get an imac g5 get a dual 2.5G5 when people ask about that. If I had the money I would get a minolta 7D anyway, that camera is gonna rule.

12. budaapple macrumors regular

local dealers

Most of the higher end camera shops in your area will carry the Digital rebel and for the rebated price. Whether they have Black or not is another story I know in Chicago that Ritz/wolf carries both colors give them a try it should be $899 after rebates with the 18/55 lens which is pretty sharp for a low end lenses kit.
    Good Luck!

13. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

$900 after rebate isn't near as good as $700 after rebate.