Placing an image in your dock.....please help.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by 8thDegreeSavage, Jun 18, 2002.

1. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

I understand you can do this with some apps now, i just have a few questions...if you dont want to alter the left and right pdf what do you use, and if you shrink and image waaaay down to 8x8 pixels(which i believe the dock needs) how does the mac unstretch the thing and make it look correct...i have not expieremented yet as i dont want to dive into terminal unless i know completely what im doing...i have a killer pict i want to use. And because the dock actually tiles the image over and over, i was wondering if you can use a photo...i think i have heard this to be possible...please someone who has done it tell me whats up.

Thanks for any help...

2. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I've never done it before... but I'm interested in seeing the 'killer pic' you are going to use...

3. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I have never tried this personally, but according to this article at ResExcellence, the image size does not need to be limited to 8x8. They have a link to an example in the article which might help you.

4. 8thDegreeSavage thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks bro!.....

Oh and to answe your question im using a pict of the girl from BLOOD:The Last Vampire...its all ready horizontal! and looks pretty tight!

5. 8thDegreeSavage thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn even if i enable root user i cannot open the damned pdf's in PS...wtf??!!...i cant even find the dock.app!!!

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

the dock is located in System-> Library -> CoreServices

irmongoose

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Hm... probably nothing a little booting into OS 9 can't fix... :D

8. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

You will find that most items in ~/system/library are off-limits. That's done so that even if root user has been enabled, some idiot can't come along and delete or f*ck-up the necessary system files (unlike with windows, where .dll files are the bane of a users life).

As hemingray already suggested, boot into OS 9, and do your dirty work there ;)