placing text files into the iPod: help

Discussion in 'iPod' started by bbergie, Aug 2, 2006.

1. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

I tried placing a text file (.rtf) that was several hundred pages long into my iPod (5th generation video), but the iPod only shows the first four or five pages.

Can anyone provide me a tip to have the iPod show me the full file? Am I doing something wrong or is the desired outcome not possible?

Thanks.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Text files on the iPod are limited to 4KB in size. You need to split the file into multiple files of less than 4K each, with links between them, if desired. I believe there are apps out there that will help you with this. Search Google for 'iPod Notes' as a start.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There is a 4KiB limit on the size of the note put into the iPod and there is a 1000 note limit on how many you can have.

Does .rtf even work? I've only ever been able to get .txt to work as notes, might have to give it another go eh?

4. bbergie thread starter macrumors regular

bbergie

Wow. Thanks for this information. I will look for those support apps you referenced. Too bad apple doesn't make this limitation clearer on its website.

Thanks again!

5. bbergie thread starter macrumors regular

bbergie

.rtf experiences some formatting issues, but otherwise it is legible (at least for the few hundred words it shows). :)