'Plagiarist' to sue university

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, May 28, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

This guy is such a muppet... :rolleyes: I would've thought he was being ironic if he wasn't so f'in thick. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

So he's copied all his work for the whole 3 years, and when someone finally notices it, and he's pulled up... (even if it is the final project) he complains about not been pulled up earlier because all his other assignments were copies as well??? so he expects a Degree for copying basically??? what a Space Cadet! :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3753065.stm

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    he is an idiot i cant believe any solicitor would be stupid to advise him to sue

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm quite sure he's a native. It seems there just as many idiots in the UK as in the US :D :p

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There could not be--it's a much smaller population.

How could he not realise that plagiarism is a problem? :eek: How did he make it through sixth form?

6. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Unless you were being ironic, you've obviously not met the members of the legal profession that I have !! :D

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thought we had the market cornered on "stupid lawsuits"....

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

We probably have more advertisements per hour than in England. :D :rolleyes:

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It seems that the nobody should have their feelings hurt crowd is active in England also. If a person is a plagiarist, then they should get an F. In this case of three years, expelled from the university. I sue no grounds on which to sue, if a judge doesn't throw this out then it would be true travesty. :(

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

If you cheat, you should be punished. But if the University knew he was cheating, and kept taking his money, only on the last day to tell him that he was going to not pass, then he might have grounds for a lawsuit. ( Not sure as I have no clue as to how UK laws compare to those in the US. ) With some good arguing, it might not be that hard to convince a jury (or the UK equivilant) that there was some sort of violation of the law. It cases like this that help to fine what the laws mean.

And please, lets leave the word "travesty" to Bobby Knight to use. He uses better than anyone.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Don't schools in the US and most countries have "Honor Codes" any more?

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    people are retarded i hope this kid gets work as a elephant manure scrpaer

13. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Did he not know that plagirism is wrong? :rolleyes:

Why can't people take responibility for their own actions?
    Seriously, it's not the school's fault that he's a moron.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yes. Do people follow them? Sometimes...

15. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Twat, they'll slaughter him if it ever gets to court. We supply plagiarism warnings and faculty, course, module and individual tutorial level, there's no way he didn't know what he was doing was wrong unless he really is very stupid, in which case he shouldn't be awarded a degree.

Ignorance of the rules is no excuse, every year I get into arguments with students who are whining about not knowing the dates for submission or who simply haven't read the assignments properly.

Strangly, it's always the ones who know they are taking the piss that make the most noise, a genuine student with a genuine problem rarely makes a fuss, they simply get on with the job of sorting the mistake out.

This is the major problem with tuition fees, students feel as though they are buying a qualification regardless of wether they are actually intelligent enough to deserve it.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Even if he was never told that plaigerism was wrong, didn't he realize that the word "plaigerism" is associated with bad things? This idiot is an English major! And to add insult to injury, he's in England!!

"Sir, I've also killed many people, but if the police had ever told me that killing people was wrong, I wouldn't have done it!! They should walk right up to your front door to tell us. How am I supposed to find out otherwise? " :rolleyes:

17. brap macrumors 68000

(OMFG)
    So yeah, I still maintain that EVERYONE AT MY UNIVERSITY IS RETARDED.

I'm a History major at the same University, it's a bit telltale that I only find out about this through reading an American forum. Morons, everywhere you look, though the lecturers are too damn good for me to go elsewhere

18. applebum macrumors 6502

I think they should photocopy a diploma (white out any name before copying of course) and then write his name in pencil and give that to him. It would be very fitting that he had a copy of someone else's degree to try to use as his own.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I never heard the phrase "pulled me up" used this way. Does it mean "held me back", "singled me out", "kicked me out", or something else?

20. brap macrumors 68000

"Caught me out".

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We Yanks don't have that phrase either. We do use the interesting phrase "called me on the carpet", meaning "scolded me". I don't its origin. Do Brits use that one?

22. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Yeah, I think that would fall into the UK generic of the term "dressing down".

Incidentally I love the way this guy admits happily that he "did plagiarise" and by that rationale he knew what he was doing, but nevertheless stil felt he should have been warned of the "problems and consequences", implying that he doesn't know what plagiarism is.

what a muppet. :confused:

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ok he is dumb for not knowing its frowned upon or whatever. but honestly i would be pretty pissed if i had payed for school all those years and not taking it away. but in the end, he should have known, simple as that.

iJon

24. nspeds macrumors member

I think a better measurement would be to compare the ratio of stupid to smart people between the two countries and they will be the same.