Plane simualtors?

Discussion in 'Games' started by 7on, Jun 11, 2006.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Any plane simulator suggestions? I'm probably looking at an older one, something not too taxing on the old HDD and integrated gfx ;-) If on the Mac side I'd like Universal and if on the Windows side (BootCamp) something that takes minimal HDD space.

2. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

For XP I've always liked MS Flight Sim 2004. I've just got myself a MacBook and haven't had the chance to install X-plane yet, but I've tried it on Linux and its REALLY REALLY complicated. Maybe cos I haven't got into it though.

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

There's X-Plane for the mac, but it may be too much for you.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Oh God, my wallet just got sucked into my monitor.

I wish I hadn't clicked. :eek:

6. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Yea, haha. I haven't actually played the full game, but I've tried the demo and it's pretty awesome.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Provided you have the correct hardware (i.e. full motion setup), you can use X-Plane to account for training for various FAA certificates. Clicky.

8. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Windows - Microsoft Flight Simulator
    Mac - X-Plane

:rolleyes:

9. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Definitely give the demo of X-Plane a try before you buy... I'm not sure why you wouldn't, but X-Plane is more of a simulator than a game. It's incredibly realistic, and you're going to need some patience (and probably some manual reading :eek: ) to get the hang of it. I know personally it was really overwhelming and I just gave up after a few hours with it.

If you do decide to purchase cause you like the demo so much, consider buying the global scenery package. 7 DL DVDs with nearly 60GB of scenery... Literally covers everything except the poles...

10. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

11. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Thats true. You will need a lot of time getting used to x-plane. After playing a few years FS, it was very hard getting used to it. I tried.
    The end of the story: My copy of X-Plane ended up in the Trash :rolleyes:

12. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

x-plane is the best flight sim out there... that is that.

The graphics are amazing. The flight model is PERFECT. Make sure you have a decent video card, though. (for the record, I played it on my eMac all the time without any problems)

From x-plane I actually trust my abilities at the controls of a 747 more than the wheel of my car! :p

13. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

haha, I'd like to play X-Plane but I think I would need a manual. I really would like to learn to fly planes someday - or a helicopter. ;-)

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You people are missing IL2 and Pacific Fighters. Just because it never made it to Mac doesnt mean these two should be ignored. In fact both are highly rated in the PC world as very realistic flight simulators only you get to fly WW2 planes with full weapon loads if you choose. Novice to Very Realistic. They deserve a look if you dont mind running boot camp.

15. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I once flew the Air Canada flight simulator. This is what the pilots train in, because it's obviously too expensive for them to train in real airplanes.

It was really fun, and really realistic. When you are about to crash it is actually scary! I loved it, it's kind of expensive though. I think it was like $800 and hour or something.

16. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Wow! Thats cool. I would love to do that one day.
    Are you a pilot in real life or did you do that just for fun?

Omg, i just remembered how i tried to fly a helicopter in X-Plane! It was sooooo hard! Yes, i did it with a joystick, but lost the control as soon as i got up in the air :(

Good one! But we are also missing Lock On: Modern Air Combat

17. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Haha, no it was just for fun. I was actually only 11 I think. It was a few years ago and my dad and grandfather were going to do it and invited me along. Neither of them are pilots either, we just all did it for fun.