Plane with 155 passengers disappears in Brazil

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by xsedrinam, Sep 29, 2006.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

After colliding with a private jet mid air, Brazilian airline Gol has disappeared off radar and feared to have gone down in the Amazon Jungle.

"Gol flight 1907 left Manaus in the afternoon but did not arrive in Brasilia as scheduled", a spokesman for the Manaus airport said.

Plane such as this one:

Attached Files:

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

A collision with a private jet in mid-air? Dang, the pilot should open their eyes! It's probably hard to miss a big plane coming at you.

3. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Private jets aren't very big planes, a 737 easily dwarfs almost any private jet. Plus, it's really tough to determine distance/depth in the air, not to mention the fact that it's the ATC's job to make sure planes aren't close enough to have even the remote possibility of a collision.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Amazing that the private jet was able to land. I also wonder about the status of ATC over the Amazon...

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, the ATC wasn't on its toes but wow the private plane made out alright.

Bless

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i hope everyone's alright and they find the plane and all the passengers.

i understand that we are able to build these massive machines and do all this amazing stuff (like launch tons of metal into the air at really fast speeds) but a computer is no substitute for human attentiveness.

7. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Here's an updated article which seems to raise more questions. Apparently, the small plane (Legacy) was piloted by a U.S. citizen. How did they manage to emergency land with a damaged wing and tail, after a mid-air collision?

8. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

That sucks..I hate hearing about plane crashes. I was on 4 planes this past week...only had a problem with one. It seemed to need new brakes but at least the problem only affected us once we landed safely on GROUND! ;)

I hope some people end up surviving this crash. Gosh, That was a BRAND new 737-800 plane. SO terrible.

9. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Wow, a plane disappearing.

Thats a pretty good trick. o.o

I hope everyone survives. :(

10. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Just saw it on the news. Apparently they aren't sure now whether it was a mid air collision or not.

The biggest problem I have with flight crashes is the amount of loss of life. Seeing all those relatives is quite moving...

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, Boeing/McD-D engineers were surprised to hear about an F-15 that landed with the entire starboard wing missing, but that has no bearing on this at all.

12. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Talk about applying full port-side roll!

I do hope they find survivors. Though, in the middle of the amazon I doubt that will happen. :(

13. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

I just don't know how there are ever survivors in plane crashes. HOPEFULLY these peope are ok...it was a new plane with the latest technology.

THey need to get help for them quick too just in case people survive. The problem with being in the middle of the amazon would be insects---don't they kill more people there than anything?? I watched some thing on the Science Channel about that.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

You should wonder about it outside the U.S. in most places. ;)

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Visibility out of most fixed wing AC is not good.

Depending on the altitude and type airspace, ATC plays a key roll in separating AC. Don't know about over the Amazon.

Article doesn't give much to go on.

I feel for those passengers and crew members. Especially now that the wreckage has been found in an inaccessible part of the Amazon. I would be surprised if there were any survivors.

16. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

Ouch. From my (super special) wire services, looks like there was 155 souls lost. The aircraft was only 17 days old, a brand new Boeing 737-8EH SFP, with a seemingly full load of 149 pax and 6 crew, 2 cockpit and 4 cabin. The registration number appears to be PR-GTD.

It crashed into an Embraer 600 Legacy, piloted by 2 Americans.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1118628/M/

17. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks. Sad.

Very interested in seeing if the planes did clip each other or not. Seems like the aviation authorities are not sure.

19. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Oh how awful. I am so sad about this, especially after looking at the photos of the awaiting family and friends. Not that this helps, but it sounds like they would have all died instantly with the estimated impact speed.

I just don't get how the BIG jet could not withstand the hit yet the small jet made it back to the airport. Anyway, plane crashes usually take quite some time (sometimes up to a year) to complete an investigation. I went over to airlinedisasters.com forums to see if there was any information yet but then I started reading about all the other crashes. :( So sad.

20. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

This is the largest airline disaster in Brazilian history. I'm sure the recovered blackbox will reveal much. It is a sad time for surviving family members.

One of the eeriest taped recordings I've ever heard was the frantic cockpit dialogue just before Japan Airlines crashed in to a mountain back in '85, but the moment doesn't seem appropriate to post the audio link of it.

Today, October 1, '06 Japan Airlines Corporation merges with Japan Airlines International to form a World Alliance carrier called JAL.

I still believe air travel is the best way to go, in fact we're flying out tomorrow, international. But these kinds of events always bring pause.

21. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Microsoft behind the software fault.. Nah I shouldn't joke about this things but its the only way i stop myself from getting scared of planes.... :(

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This particular accident is really sad.

The US Army was ready to assist in search and rescue with a helicopter unit here in Japan. This unit had a MEDEVAC capabilities with an outstanding staff. Additionally, I believe the AF and Navy helicopter units were also ready to assist. However, the Japanese delayed asking the US Government for help.

Later, they found out that some folks had miraculously survived the crash but bled to death. If the Japanese had asked for assistance, some of those may have survived. So very sad.

23. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Oh I did not know those details of the accident....but I read about this accident years ago. I also read the transcript of the voice recorder---the pilots were panicked and trying to turn the plane around to get back to the airport. Chilling. :(

24. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Update!! Update!!

A free-lance writer/staff member of the New York Times Newspaper was on the other airplane involved in this.

His story is on the front page of the on-line version today (Tuesday, Oct. 3) Includes photos of the damage to the other plane. Scary story.

http://www.nytimes.com/

Read: On the Road: Colliding With Death at 37,000 Feet, and Living

Note: Free registration may be required to view the article.