Planes just keep on crashing??

Discussion in 'Community' started by JW8725, Aug 23, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2005
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Maybe the airlines are putting less fuel in the planes since the gas prices are so high.
  3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    It's just you
  4. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    well if the plan doesn't crash I'm sure the africanized killer bee's or Y2k will get you :rolleyes:
  5. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    just think, you can always walk/swim your way their or you can put up with some of the drawbacks of modern (last 100 yrs or so) technology.
  6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Yeah, that's 5 in as many weeks. This last one was caused by bad weather again but a fair few people survived.

Could be a sick ad program for 'Lost'.
  7. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Sep 25, 2004
    I am terrified of flying.. just for this reason alone. In the event of a failure, there's no way but down! Most of these crashes seemed to have been boeing 737s.. thats a little unnerving. When flying international I always choose singapore airlines since they have a new fleet (planes not more than 5 years old) British airways.. their planes are somewhere 20+ years old..

Just a note, everytime a crash occurs.. 2 or 3 follow soon enough. Weird, I've been noticing that since the last 6 or 7 years. The air france jet that crash landed...well it wasnt really a crash but still, I told my wife.. "Watch.. 2 or more planes are gonna go down soon enough" and they did.. ugh.
  8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    About 5 years or so ago, some airline industry guy predicted that it wouldn't be long before there were weekly crashes of commercial aircraft. Sorry, no link, but I do remember his reasoning and it goes something like this.

Lots of very old aircraft in the air.
    Lots of pilots who are fairly new to the job and without the extensive military training that many pilots had in the post WWII period.
    Lots of budget airlines skimping on their maintenance budgets.
    Lots more planes in the air queuing up to land at increasingly crowded airports.

His prediction was made before 9 11 so it doesn't reflect the fact that there has been a very large increase in private jets and propeller planes flying around the skies. Smaller planes are much more likely to have accidents that larger ones.

In other words, welcome to the world of frequent airplane crashes. Not much we can do other than avoid airlines with known problems.
  9. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Hmmm, I fly regularly using BA and you're absolutely right, most of their shuttle flights (1-2 hours) are run with old heaps as aeroplanes. Plenty of leg-room though.

Something like 60-75% of the world's passenger aircraft are owned by one insurance company (and then leased to airlines). I think they must be worrying a bit at the moment.
  10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    a very high rate for the last weeks, indeed. scary! :eek:
  11. MacRohde macrumors regular

Jun 1, 2004
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yes it's very eerie indeed. I don't feel like flying these days...
  12. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Yes, its a high number, 5 for the month...

Toronto - Airbus A340-300 - Crew and passengers survived

Athens - Boeing B-737

Venezuela - MD-82

Colombia - Tuninter ATR regional plane

Peru - Boeing B-737

The B-737 is the most frequently used airplane in the world, so it's not that surprising to see them listed. And considering the astounding number of safe flights daily, the industry still has an amazing safety record (in spite of the concerns listed by others).

Car crashes and fatalities are far more common

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]
  13. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    I guess, the Venezuela and Colombia plane you talk about are the same, it crashed in Venezuela but was a Colombian airline, you're missing the one between Italy and Tunisia. 39? 29? No idea, but it comes to the group.
  14. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    5 out of the number that have flown in the last month is nothing in % terms, but what if you added up all the plane crashes from the last 5 years and see what % of them happenend in the last month. That's what makes it scary.
  15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    I,m guessing here but it seems we've just come through a long period of few crashes it seems we may be getting back to more usual number of crashes.I think Guinness Peat Plc is one of the biggest players in the plane leasing world.
  16. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
    another blip on the averages. You know that everyday hundreds if not thousands of people die in car accidents and yet you worry about travelling in a metal tube high in the sky..... strange.
  17. mvc macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2003
    Don't worry...

Here's a quote from another aircrash article which puts it all in perspective:

"The recent spate of crashes may leave the impression that airline safety worldwide is eroding, but accident statistics show that safety is improving, the experts said. The current worldwide accident rate is the lowest since 1945.

Worldwide, nine crashes occurred last year, killing 203 people, while 2 billion passengers flew on commercial flights, according to the International Civil Aviation Organization. The figures do not include charter flights. Five major crashes have occurred in 2005, resulting in 308 deaths, according to a database survey of airplane crashes maintained by Aviation Safety Network. The crashes were in Afghanistan, Australia, Equatorial Guinea, Colombia and Greece and do not include chartered flights.

The United States has a historically low accident rate and there has been no major fatal accident in more than three years.

The recent crashes will slightly increase this year's global accident rate, which is one accident per 1 million flights but do not indicate a change in the downward trend, said Stuart Matthews, president of the Flight Safety Foundation. "On the assumption that we don't have a series that carry on, I don't think it will make a difference in the 10-year accident rate," he said."
  18. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    The more there are without you on them, the better your chances of not being in a crash. :D

I fly around in helicopters and small aircraft all the time, so the idea of getting into an airliner seldom scares me.
  19. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004

Actually they don't. It is, as far as I'm aware, unheard of that planes keep crashing.

Generally they crash once and that's it.
  20. Loge macrumors 68020

Jun 24, 2004
    And it's used mostly on short duration flights too; given that take-off and landing are the most likely times for an accident, it doesn't surprise me either.
  21. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2005
    Now thats just cheeky!
  22. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Look at the evidence and prove me wrong :p
  23. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005

I think this depends on your interpretation of the english language, but the sentence, 'planes keep crashing' is pefectly acceptable for describing a series of different plane crashes. ;)
  24. lem0n macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2005
    This is rather weird, ok, really weird. Most of my friends are leaving on this exchange program is the US and somehow there's always a plane crash one day before their group fly [each group contains about 3-4 people]. Today is the Peru flight and tomorrow my friends are flying to LA and Washington... Same thing happened last time. This made the girls really nervy about flying. And somehow they all did something wrong on their flights [one went to the wrong gate and missed her plane in the stopover in Hongkong, one dropped her passport, boarding pass, ticket... :eek: etc, lucky her I saw it when she dropped it] My mother is not afraid whatsoever, and she's on a plane more than being at home... :D She's also going to the UK tomorrow... Now let's just hope nothing will happen to me when I go to university next month... :D [and my friends who are flying tomorrow]
  25. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    The "There are more accidents from cars than planes" arguement is not a very good one.

Of course there are more traffic accidents than plane accidents. Nothing different should be expected if you consider the number of cars on the road. Highways are crowded with millions and millions of cars. There are traffic jams, people driving drunk, on drugs, etc.

a) Once you factor in the % of accidents compared to the number of cars on the road to create an equal ratio of cars VS planes in the world, then factor in the number of people killed on average in a plane crash VS that of the number of people killed on average in a car crash, and you see that surely planes are MUCH more dangerous.

b) Consider the possible outcomes of a vehicle accident VS a plane accident. A mechanical failure in a vehicle usually results in no injuries, and you can safely pull aside. Something goes wrong in a plane, and your options are much more limited. Car crashes are not always fatal, and most often are not. Plane crashes on the other hand a very rarely not fatal.

c) Picture the scenario if there were as many planes as there are cars. What if there were traffic jams in the sky? Surely there'd be many more accidents, and a lot more fatalities; thus giving you a glimpse at the danger of air planes when their ratio is balanced with the number of cars. It isn't good.