Planning on purchasing a G5 friday. Using it for Music Production and Recording

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kspot, Jul 13, 2004.

1. kspot macrumors newbie

Jul 13, 2004
    Whats up people,

I'm a hiphop music producer/mc and I am planning on buying a powermac g5 (the tower, not the book) on friday.

Ive been using a PC for all my work for the past 3 years and I'm sick of it. They crash easy, doesnt seem right for what I'm doing.

I was wondering if someone can give me the real reasons why a MAC is better for Music Creation?

Because its a known fact that mac's are better than PC's for making music, but nobody really tells me the exact reasons.

My setup plan:

- M-BOX
    - REASON

give me some input

2. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    Saying you're buying a g5 indicates clearly that you're getting a tower, they don't make a "book" yet.

Skip the M-Box and pro-tools... save some cash, buy a motu 828 and digital performer....
    Oh by the way, I have one for sale. :)
  3. ratspg macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA

where are you located? i run a recording studio here in los angeles. hip hop / pop / rock... lots of styles come through here and we run a Dual G5 powermac also.... let me know what you're up to i could share info on my set up and see what ur into etc..!

4. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2004
    NYC & Baltimore
    Pro Tools will smoke on a dual g5- I use LE on a 002 rack with a powerbook g4 1.33 ghz and I have no problems- I haven't maxed it out yet and I use lots and lots of heavy DSP plugs (waves reverbs, tap delays, EQ's etc.). A dual 2.0 should be a good future proof purchase for sure. Have you bought the mbox yet? I would suggest getting the 002rack- ADAT in plus 16 i/o is very nice- mbox is limited to two tracks at once- nice as a "second car" but I wouldn't use it as my primary i/o.

p.s. Digital Performer is OK, but not even in the top 3 (Pro Tools, Nuendo, Logic)- so really, pro tools is a good choice. If you're going to be doing lots of MIDI, you might want to pick up logic instead- but for audio Pro Tools is by far the best option. The MOTU hardware is pretty lackluster as well- so is the DIGI stuff, but basically I just use it as a dongle to run pro tools (great software)- all my A/D D/A conversion is done through ADAT (RME converters) which is yet another reason why the 002rack or something with ADAT in/out would be better than the mbox. Also, Pro TOols LE is not yet optimized for OSX or the g5 so when Pro TOols 7 comes out you will see a large boost in performance.

p.p.s. I use a Triton as well and the MIDI functions in Pro TOols are perfectly tolerable and usable.

EDIT: oh yeah, you're original question: mac's are generally more stable than PC's- this is extremely important as you might know when dealing with lots and lots of important data and sessions. Make sure to get an extra drive in that g5 for audio files though, Pro TOols doesn't like recording to the system disk. also, READ THE COMPATIBILITY ARTICLES ON DIGIDESIGNS WEBSITE! I am a forum member on that site and you would not believe the amount of people who never read the requirements complaining about hardware they bought that doesn't work well with Pro TOols-
  5. kanker macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2003

Why is a Mac a better way to go for music production? To start with, Mac's are inherently more stable as machines and as a platform. The same company that writes the OS specs all the parts that go into the machine, so the OS doesn't have to deal with an infinite number of possible hardware configurations. Second, the OS is developed at a significantly accelerated rate as compared to Windows, so any potential OS related issues are cleaned up very quickly. There really isn't anything in the way of viruses or worms *at present* for Macs, so your uptime is secure uptime. With OSX, RAM is dynamically allocated, and one result is that if an app crashes, 99+% of the time, the system will not. A program has to have an extremely severe crash that basically has to freak out the OS for the system to crash (or your RAM might be crap). There aren't a whole lot of ways to crash an OSX system easily. All Audio and MIDI are handled at the OS level, so there is less overhead involved, and the theoretical minimum time for audio throughput as a result is insanely fast (one millisecond, one nanosecond, I can't remember exactly but it's ridiculously fast). With the introduction of the G5, especially in dual configurations, it's pretty much closed the gap between externally processed platforms like ProTools HD and host based systems, although external DSP power never hurts. Basically, it's durn near impossible to choke a G5 with any typical session.

Things to know coming from the world of PC. OSX runs best when you maintain the file hierarchies that the OS offers. Applications should all go into the Applications folder. Documents should all go into the documents folder, etc... Making aliases can speed up the workflow and keep you from having to dig through the Applications folder for example for application related files, and a well organized Dock full of Apps and frequently used folders is a must. With regards to folders (and even the hard drive), when you put them in the Dock, if you click-hold on them, a list pops up with the volume's contents, making the Dock a very quick and powerful navigational tool. Things to put in the Dock - Disk Utility ( found in Applications/Utilities) is a must. When you select your hard drive in disk utility, it allows you to repair permissions, a Unix way of allowing levels of access to files. Repair permissions regularly, at least monthly, after new installations, OS updates, running an App for the first time. Any other Utilities that you may need access to frequently should go into the Dock, Printer Setup, Airport Setup, Airport Admin, etc...

Enjoy your new rig, and visit for your audio related questions. Great bunch of guys, all levels of experiences, some audio geniuses, and they're very helpful.
  6. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Mac all the way :)

If I explained the technical aspects of the Mac's superior memory management, multi-tasking, stability etc it really wouldn't mean anything to you.

You already have experience doing your job on a PC and you find it painful and frustrating, don't you?

Stop being a glutton for punishment, get a Mac and you'll be much happier and more productive.

On a side note, Beverly Hills Magazine (free area mag) had a fantastic write up with lots of pics on Hollywood film composer Hans Zimmer about a year ago - check out his impressive resumé below

He a has a most impressive Mac based studio. If I recall, he mentioned that he likes using the Mac so that he can forget about the computer and concentrate on the music instead :)