Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I am planing to pickup the Netgear nighthawk X6 AC3200 wireless router this weekend as my current router (link sys WRT1900AC) is having some issues.

Basically the issues I'm experiencing right now is the following:

1) Other's laptops on the network (windows machines....not mine) get's kicked out/disconnected.
2) signal issues in some corners of the house.
3) very slow download times on iOS devices.

I would have to reboot the router weekly to fix these issues, but they always come back.

Has anyone have the Netgear X6 AC3200 router? I don't want to get router that will cause issues with my Mac's or with the Apple TV.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I agree Airport Extreme, yep missing QOS may suck for some, but the rock solid connections, no issues, 'It just works' is what I really need in a router. Seriously, the only problem I've ever had from an Airport Extreme was the weekend away it was struck by lighting ( killed the protection circuit and ups to get to the router - insurance covered the replacement ).

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I am planing to pickup the Netgear nighthawk X6 AC3200 wireless router this weekend as my current router (link sys WRT1900AC) is having some issues.

Basically the issues I'm experiencing right now is the following:

1) Other's laptops on the network (windows machines....not mine) get's kicked out/disconnected.
2) signal issues in some corners of the house.
3) very slow download times on iOS devices.

I would have to reboot the router weekly to fix these issues, but they always come back.

Has anyone have the Netgear X6 AC3200 router? I don't want to get router that will cause issues with my Mac's or with the Apple TV.

If you get the Netgear then bookmark the Apple support article TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products in case you have to open ports in your router to get Apple Sevices connections!

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
If you get the Netgear then bookmark the Apple support article TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products in case you have to open ports in your router to get Apple Sevices connections!

Picked it up and having no issues. in fact streaming movies, etc on the new Apple TV is much much better compared to the Linksys I had. Downloading apps on my iPhone & iPad seem to have improved as well.

I noticed one more thing. When I had link sys router, I had a heck of a time deleting emails in OS X mail. The problem seemed to be fixed with the netgear router. Need to do more testing on it, however.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Picked it up and having no issues. in fact streaming movies, etc on the new Apple TV is much much better compared to the Linksys I had. Downloading apps on my iPhone & iPad seem to have improved as well.

I noticed one more thing. When I had link sys router, I had a heck of a time deleting emails in OS X mail. The problem seemed to be fixed with the netgear router. Need to do more testing on it, however.

Linksys always seem to have a problem with IMAP email servers over the years.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

I have worked with a few routers over the years and while the Airport Extreme is "nice," it is really somewhat mediocre given its price and limitations. I never understand why people offer the AE as a choice for someone serious about getting an advanced WiFi router. Your particular choice is a very nice one and some things you may want to consider -

1) which devices will connect at 2.4 and which to connect at 5. (Some folks like to put items like iPhones on 2.4 as they are far slower than say, a computer) and allow 5 for those that can really take full advantage of the handshake speed.
2) wireless extenders/bridges - you may hear about how they half the speed but you may consider them for near dead zones that can handle 802.11ac given that even with the half speed, it is often faster than 802.11n.
3) exploit gently the QoS provided with the Netgear router. If you end up with lots of devices on your network, it pays to prioritize the bandwidth.
4) firmware - you probably already know that it sometimes pays to wait a month before doing a firmware update. Netgear is actually pretty consistent with not having issues in their firmware updates so whether you wait or not is up to you. As well, there are some 3rd party firmwares out there that for some routers are truly outstanding. If this is your cup of tea, do a lot* of investigation first to make sure it is really ideal for your router and your needs.

For my needs at present, I use a Netgear r7000. It easily beats out the AE, competes nicely with its ASUS counterpart (which is also very very good) and I was able to remove additional hardware in the home (extender and also an AV powerline unit though the powerline proved to be an excellent performer).

Enjoy your new router and let us know of any discoveries (good or bad) with your purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.