Plase Help Me!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by G5orbust, Jun 23, 2002.

1. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I just got a new MP3 cd player and it works fine. BUT, when i burn a cd in iTunes, it only says i have 33 files when i play the cd in the cd player(i burn 81). Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong? I have it set to MP3 cd burning and all the files are mp3s. The files are tehre tho cuz when u use it on the comp, it shows all the files. And all the songs are cd ripped except for like 10 of em.

PLEASE help me!!!! Anyone who can. Ive burned 5 coasters and i dont wanan waste anymore.

Computer: g4 933/256/superdrive/ 10.1.5
    Mp3 cd player: sony walkman
    media: memorex cd-r all speed, 74 minutes/650 MB

Sorry i posted this twice already, but no one has reponded to the second one.

2. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

3. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

When you burn a CD with iTunes, I'm pretty sure it will always convert the mp3s to AIFF first and then then burn a regular CD. I think iTunes is only capable of burning a normal CD. (I could be wrong on that point, though)

Your other alternative is to use somthing like Toast, the Finder, or Disk Copy.

Toast is pretty easy and self explanitory.

With the Finder, you can choose to mount a blank CD. Then all you have to do is add files to the CD and then choose burn from the menu. The only thing you need to make sure of is that you select the proper CD format when you insert and initialize the CD.

Your final option is Disk Copy. Open Disk Copy (its in Utilities). Go to the Image menu and select New Blank Image. Select 660 CD Rom from the size drop down and MS-DOS from the type drop down. Make sure encryption is set to none. Then pick a location to save the disk image in and hit the create button. Next, open the disk image from the desktop and then drag and drop all of your files to the image. When your done with that, drag the image from the desktop to the trash (this will finalize the image by closing it). Now go back to Disk Copy and select Burn Image from the Image menu. Select the image you created and hit burn.

The Disk Copy method is great if you want to make multiple copies of the same thing. You can also create disk images of other cds. This is very useful for creating copies of CD that are bootable.

Hope this helps.

Taft

4. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

In the iTunes preferences there's a cd burning tab. In there you can select to burn either a regular audio cd, or mp3 cd.

It *should* be possible to burn an mp3 cd within iTunes, but i don't feel like creating a coaster, just to find out.

5. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I just backed up 7000 mp3's on 66 cds with i tunes.

not one coaster.

it worked like a charm :)

When you first put the cd in the burner it prompts you to select a data/mp3/ or audio cd right? select mp3.

then when you put over 79 minute of music in the playlist it asks you to select a type of cd. You are selecting mp3 cd again right?

good times.

C-

6. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I just backed up 7000 mp3's on 66 cds with i tunes.

not one coaster.

it worked like a charm :)

what kind of problem are you having?

C-

7. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Just to interject, you can also save the CD that you burned in Toast. When you try and exit out it prompts you if you want to save the CD you just created for future use. I don't know if the method that both programs use is the same though.

8. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

im burning mp3 cds ok, but they arent being read by my mp3 cd player. it says it only reads 33 songs, even tho there are 81 songs on the disk.

9. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

i got toast and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the input.

10. rootuser macrumors newbie

G5orbust, i told you how to get root user!!!!! Don't tell the other non-NetInfo way!

11. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

What, sudo passwd root? What's NetInfo, is that like information about the Internet? [sarcasm]. :)

12. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

o man, and root thought he came up with that one on his own!

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i tried to get root with netinfo and it didn't work. i'm too scared to stuff around in terminal.:(

14. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

its REALLY easy. no harm will come at all.

Heres how you do it (rootuser showed me how)

Go into terminal
    type in: sudo passwd root and press enter
    then type in whatever password you want for root (it wont show up, but it will record it)
    Type it in again when it asks
    Then, you will have root and your home will be in the private folder.

To open that, go to terminal again and type in: open /private
    Open the folder named VAR
    Then open a folder called root
    You will have a home aand a library

NOTE: Root will not show up as one of your registered users. You must switch the login so you can type in the login names. Then to acess root after you have done this, type in root as the login and whatever password you gave it as the password.

Tell me if I missed something. If I didnt, then this should work perfectly.

15. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

There is one step that you missed here. Sudo is a program that makes you pseudo root user by being part of the admin/wheel group. You type in your admin password and if you are a part of either of these groups then you have root privileges without being root. That's how you are able to make a root accnt by just being an admin.

Anyways, the step that you missed is that any command that you prefix w/sudo will ask you for your admin passwd first, to execute the arguments after it as root. The arguments after it happen to be passwd [user] therefore prompting you to type in a new passwd and retype it again.

So you will have to type in a passwd three times:

1: admin passwd
    2: root passwd
    3: root confirmation

16. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

thanks. I knew it felt like something was missing.

So my friend didnt make this method up, huh?
    He said it took him months to figure it out. Guess he is just really patient or too lazy to ask anyone on Macrumors.

17. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

It might have taken him a long time to figure it out, but he didn't make it up. Unix/C have been around since the dawn of personal computing and the Arpa/internet and are very well documented. As with all CLI interfaces, there is a big learning curve, but there are more resources to learn Unix than any other OS. AFAIK, passwd is the only way to change create a password if you're in straight CLI.

Since X is BSD/Mach, Unix is essential for the complete Mac experience. And the resourceful Mac community here at MR and elsewhere are learning quickly.