Plastic

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by shakeyjake, Apr 12, 2005.

1. shakeyjake macrumors newbie

Hi
    I was just wondering is there a reason apple uses such crap plastic on its iPods? The only reason I can think of, as stupid as it may sound, is heat as my 30gig Photo does get a bit warm when charging.
    Mines been sat on the desk (mirror side down) all day and I swear there are more scratches on the screen this evening, dont get me wrong I love my iPod but it seems strange to use the material that they do, surely it wouldn't cost too much more to use something a bit tougher?!
    Just had to get it off my chest.
    Cheers
    Jake

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Plastic is plastic, it gets scratched...unless there's some wonderful new plastic that the world has been keeping a secret from me, that is somehow immune to this?

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

You're right, no plastic is immune to scratching. However, I'm sure there are some tougher plastics that could be used... would they be economical? Probably not, which is why apple uses the plastic they do, but i'm sure that plastic exists.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh yes, I'm sure you're right. But as you say (and as I was), keeping in the confines of this needing to be produced/sold at a reasonable cost, I can't see there being much you can do.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I don't think the iPods are any more scratch prone because of the type of plastic/polymer used. I think it has to do with the reflective properties/polish job of that plastic which allows us to actually see the scratches.

Would you really want the iPod to look all dull? Not me.

Just put your damn iPod in a sleeve.

6. shakeyjake thread starter macrumors newbie

You could be right with that 'polish job' comment. Its mainly the scratches on the screen that bother me, as I do look after my kit and the screen seems to be an important part (specially of the photo). I guess that its not too bad that the scratches don't show up when the backlight is on and I should probably stop looking for em. ;) I just find it strange that after all my mobile has gone through the iPod is catching it up on scratch-ness.

I dont know about it looking dull, we're talkin about apple here and even with my limited knowledge I'm sure they could come up with something at leat as smart.

The main reason I purchased my iPod at this point in time is because I couldn't resist the Duty-Free price at the airport, so right now I can't even afford a damn sleeve.

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

I recommend ipod clear plastic protectors (screen and back) from trendygeek.com. They are cheap ($12.99 for a three pack) and work incredibly well.