Platform RPG I'm starting up

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm going to start work on a platform RPG in a few days. Think Metroid, Castlevania, Cave Story. But think with smaller screens, like in the newer GBA Metroid games.

It's going to be a sequel to the New Satan Sam. Only this game won't have Sam in the title, something like The Red Lands but less communist sounding.

Going to be part of my portfolio too. I'm hoping to get this done before I graduate from university in about 16 months.

Basically I want a grand, epic storyline and much more refined and balanced gameplay than that of The New Satan Sam. Any ideas? I'm thinking about knocking down the strength of the Fire Powers. Removing all pits. No need to clear a screen. Obviously I'm going to add 1 or 2 new powers, which will be unlocked Metroid style (beat a boss, get a power!).

so yea. What do you think the unwritten rules are, the lore of adventure platform games? And to those who played Sam; what should I change to make it a better experience?

2. jrk07 macrumors regular

If you can figure out how to put in secret rooms, do it! That is one of my favorite parts of castlevania/metroid, trying to find the secret rooms behind breakaway walls and such.

Otherwise, good luck and I would love to play the final product!

3. jtalerico macrumors 6502

Just PC based? Or can we have a mac port :)

4. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Yea! the secret rooms were always a thrill to find!

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

I like the non-linear design of the Metroid series: the fact that you know you'll have to go back later when you get new abilities. I also would like to have multiple abilities/weapons at a single time. One thing that I didn't like with NSS is that different weapons were more effective in certain situations, but you could only have one weapon be it the beam attack, the sword, the rocket launcher or the telekenises.

6. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

As jdechko says, if you can include the non-linearity of the Metroid series, with the whole backtracking and exploration dynamic it would be awesome. Kind of a Satan Samus (I'm so sorry :eek: ).

I would guess that now you have the basic game engine done, you can spend a fair whack of the development time on level/world design.

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh it will definitely be non-linear. without any doubt! i want it as non-linear as possible. Realistically I want to craft the whole world first. All the backgrounds and stuff. then add the game bits in. just so it has a much more natural and open feel.

Anywho. I've pressed the pause button for this until the summer. got to think about my coursework :) but this is good. the ideas are developing so I can jump head first into the project again.

Oh! I have managed to add a new weapon. The Empty Gun. Launch a beam attack on it; it shoots lasers. Ki Powers; it knocks enemies (and rocks) back. Fire Powers; it becomes a flame thrower. its only affected by Sam's powers so Elliot and the Rocket Launcher have no effect on it.

8. kballard macrumors newbie

Hear hear! Mac users get far too little game love. Hopefully the intel switch will make it easier for people to come out with Mac games (since you only have to optimize once).

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Well its getting better. Clickteam are releasing a sequel this month, apparently, thats supposed to offer a Mac compiler. Hopefully I could get someone to port Sam over (now a 100% mac user :p ) and get the Adventure sequel all OSX-ified too. The intel switch will only make this easier on Clickteam. though it would probably be an intel only binary :(