Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
howwwww does one do it? It's very, very frustrating that I simply cannot get it to work.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Believe it or not, when I've download that earlier tonight, I've opened it, installed it, and the folder it installs doesn't have the application in it. it has a few read me's, and the UNinstaller. But no app.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
mad jew said:
Install the 3ivx plug in. It should handle most .AVIs. :)

Is that one better than the codec from divx.com ? While the one from divx.com works fine, it has some odd bugs that well, slightly bug me ;) . Just curious if you or anyone think that would be a better one to have installed.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
3ivx isn't an app. It lets you play .AVIs through Quicktime so you should be able to just open them up in Quicktime now, cool? If you want a good app to play .AVIs in, try VLC.

I prefer 3ivx to Divx just because, as tag says, Divx is so buggy and 3ivx hasn't reared any problems so far. :)

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
Shacklebolt said:
Believe it or not, when I've download that earlier tonight, I've opened it, installed it, and the folder it installs doesn't have the application in it. it has a few read me's, and the UNinstaller. But no app.

It installs it under Library/Quicktime/plug-ins, the application file just holds read me's and the uninstaller.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
mad jew said:
I prefer 3ivx to Divx just because, as tag says, Divx is so buggy and 3ivx hasn't reared any problems so far. :)
Yeah I think I'll give it a try and upgrade to the 3ivx codec at least for a while to try it out. It will be nice to have my flurry screensaver to not have lines all through it, and multiple help menus(I mean whats that about.:p ) Yes weird bugs divx makes.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Aha. Well, okay, I see the plugin now, but it doesn't seem to be, ya know, doing it's job. Do I have to restart or something? Because the .avi file I want to play still won't play.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
Am I blind or is DivX 6 only for Quicktime on Windows? I'm at the site and I can't find DivX 6 for Mac anywhere.

I had just upgraded to Tiger last week and I'm just now noticing the bugs with 5.

could someone clue me in here?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
tag said:
Is that one better than the codec from divx.com ? While the one from divx.com works fine, it has some odd bugs that well, slightly bug me ;) . Just curious if you or anyone think that would be a better one to have installed.
No, it is not. The DivX codec allows you to play the audio and video tracks of most .avi files without conversion. The 3ivx cannot--certainly not those problem .avi files with MP3 audio tracks. For those, 3ivx provides the DivX Doctor II utility to "flatten" the .avi file and convert it to .mov. If installed, the 3ivx codec takes over as your primary codec for standard MPEG-4 content. Also, if you install both the DivX and 3ivx codecs, 3ivx will handle the video of .avi files and DivX will handle the audio.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
MisterMe, that was outlined in Counterfit's link and from what I've read (and experienced) it's not as bad as you say. It's only really a select group of movies that won't work. Or maybe I've just been lucky... :)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mad jew said:
MisterMe, that was outlined in Counterfit's link and from what I've read (and experienced) it's not as bad as you say. It's only really a select group of movies that won't work. Or maybe I've just been lucky... :)
It is good to see that Countfit and I agree. FWIW, I didn't say anything was bad, I just said what is. FWIW, at various times I have had both the 3ivx and DivX codecs installed. With only the DivX codec installed, however, I have yet to encounter an .avi file that does not play flawlessly in the QuickTime player or that can't be imported into iMovie.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
But you have two Help menus! Eww.

Sorry, just a pet hate of mine. :p

I agree though that it sounds like Divx is the better plug in when it comes to having the ability to play a wider range of files.

Elrond39

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2005
Utrecht, The Netherlands
does anyone know if this solution will also work for Windows-users? (I hate still being one)

and, as an additional question, would getting Quicktime 7 Pro fix all of my worries? I read that QT7Pro can play Avi and export into other file-formats... does anyone have personal experience with avi in Quicktime 7 Pro (or any other Pro) for Windows? Does it all play, or will I run into the same codec worries? ------ or is my lack of audio not a codec thing?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Elrond39 said:
does anyone know if this solution will also work for Windows-users? (I hate still being one)

and, as an additional question, would getting Quicktime 7 Pro fix all of my worries? I read that QT7Pro can play Avi and export into other file-formats... does anyone have personal experience with avi in Quicktime 7 Pro (or any other Pro) for Windows? Does it all play, or will I run into the same codec worries? ------ or is my lack of audio not a codec thing?
With either the DivX 5.2.1 codec or the DivX 6 beta codec, QuickTime 7 (including the latest 7.0.3) plays .avi files just fine. With QuickTime Pro and the proper codecs, you can export to numerous formats, including DivX AVI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.