Play in the notebook latches, what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by intrepkid21, Jul 21, 2004.

1. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

I've been playing around with some of the ibooks and powerbooks in my local mac store, and I've found that the latch doesn't seem to firmly secure the screen to the keyboard on both the ibooks and powerbooks (some models)..while others seem to be perfect...does this just apply to beat up floor models or a manufacturing flaw?

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

My new powerbook is like that. It locks but it doesn't keep the screen flush against the keys. So you could push it down even more then it pops up a little when you remove your hand. It's a little annoying but it's not that bad since i don't travel much with it.

3. mrviga macrumors member

Believe it or not, the latches are actually designed that way. In earlier revisions of the PB, there was a big problem with the keys rubbing the screen and actually leaving scratches. There is also the issue of heat dissipation when using the notebook while closed and connected to an external monitor. Its not a very big issue, and it is totally normal. There are small rubber bumpers available from Radtech I think that you can stick to the area around the screen that will stop this movement.

4. intrepkid21 thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know, thanks!