Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Hey everyone...

I'd like to be able to play my ipod through my mac at work, without copying all my music onto the mac. I have good speakers attached to the mac that I'd like to run the ipod through, but it's a pain to get behind the mac to swap cables. I'd love to just firewire the ipod and play it that way.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

lilaliend

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2005
Columbia, MD, US
All you have to do is set the iPod to manual. When you plug it into any other computer you'll be able to view, play, and manage all the playlists within the iPod thru iTunes on which ever computer.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
???

Well, of course..... Have you never plugged your iPod into a computer before? Or are you looking for a way to play through your mac without plugging anything into it?

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Jedi128 said:
???

Well, of course..... Have you never plugged your iPod into a computer before? Or are you looking for a way to play through your mac without plugging anything into it?

Neither, but thanks for the sarcasm. Just looking for a way to play my ipod through a mac it is not linked to. It shows up in my iTunes window but is greyed out and unplayable.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Just do what lilaliend said...I use it like this all the time.

Go to Preferences, iPod, and there is a setting for "Manual." This makes it so you manually control what goes on and off of your iPod, and it also makes it so you can play songs that are on the iPod through the computer.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
Oh, sorry, I didnt realize that when you have it on automatic upload you can't play your music. I never use automatic upload so I didn't know that.............

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.