Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sicknickel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Hello,

What I'm trying to do is play my iTunes library (it's on my desktop computer) on my home stereo system, but control what's playing via my iPod touch.

From what I have figured out, I would use the Apple Airport to connect my home stereo system to iTunes. But then, can I control my iTunes (on the desktop) with the iPod touch? Or, would I need like iTunes match? I have a 16GB touch, but I have several apps and a few movies on it, only 4GB of space left and I have about 100GB of music....so storing all of my music on the touch, isn't really an option...it'd have to play via the computer.

How would I go about making this happen?

Thank you!

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Apple has a Remote app that lets you control your iTunes from your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. It also works with Apple TV. I'm not sure if you can start Airplay on your computer from the app, but you can definitely control what's playing once you've started.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hmm. Ok. And, it would be via wifi. Is that what you mean by "hooked up"?

You'd have to tell us your exact setup. Is the computer going to be the audio source, or is the iPod Touch?

If you hook your computer up to your system, it'd be the iPod Touch acting as the remote, and yes, you'd use Apple's Remote app.

http://www.apple.com/apps/remote/

If you're hooking up your iPod Touch, the only thing you'd do is enable Home Sharing on the computer so it goes through wifi, and then the library would be on the Music app on your iPod after you enabled it in the settings there.

Understanding Home Sharing
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3819?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
You can select what speakers you want to use though either iTunes or in the Remote App. You just press the Airplay icon, the rectangle with the triangle at the bottom, and select either 1 set of speakers or multiple.

I quite often use this to pipe music through out my small house with my AV receiver hooked up to an Airport Express in the living room and a Airplay speaker in the bedroom. Note the Airport Extreme doesn't have the speaker port.

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
the answer

to answer your question:

1. You will need an airport express as the wifi interface between your stereo and computer.
2. Your music lives on computer running itunes with home sharing enabled
3. Install the remote app on ipod
4. Enter pin code to allow access to itunes library from remote app
5. Pick a song to play from your library
6. Choose airport express as speaker output and now your music is playing over stereo.

trevolly

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
Why is everyone making this sound sooooo difficult??

Follow what the good fellow "donlab" above. Simple.. :)

Breesok

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Is this the same???

I know this is an old thread, but I want to connect my old iphone 3 to my stereo and play my itunes via my computer. So the iphone would be the receiver... I think.... Does that make sense? I have an older airport express (the square one) but don't have a long enough ethernet cable to extend it to help the cause... Who am I kidding... I have no idea what I'm talking about. :confused: Could someone please help/guide me? Is this possible??

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
old thread, but
connect the airport express to your stereo
use remote app on iphone
See the directions with donlab.

I have 2 airport expresses connected to 2 different stereos at my home. One has speakers outside & other in my living room.
Remote app is just another interface to your itunes on your computer. So computer streams music to expresses.

Breesok

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Thank you... I tried, but just learned that I need OS 5 to load the Remote app on my iphone and my old 3G doesn't go that high.... Sooo, if I just use the new airport extreme (that I was going to return because I thought I could use my old iphone) and connect it to my stereo, can that alone act as the receiver or transmitter? If so, does it mean that I could also stream music from my laptop to my stereo via the airport?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.