play itunes with lid closed on newest g4 ibook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Anarchy99, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

play itunes with lid closed on newest g4 ibook
    is it possible cause when its in my backpack i wanna use headphones and listen to itunes but it allways goes to sleep and stops the music
    i dont care if it sleeps i actually prefer it cause i hear it will overheat if it is running closed
    but can i make itunes still play while sleeping

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

If it sleeps.. it can't play iTunes. There is a hack to allow iBooks to run in clamshell mode... Don't remember what it is... However, this topic has been beat to death... perform a simple search of the forums and you'll find it.

On a related note, the iBook clamshell hack should go in the "how not to be a noob" thread.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Good idea!
    Linkety to the Newbie help thread. I'll add that...

4. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Thanks... I get tired of seeing this topic come up.

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

its a really bad idea to run in clamshell mode in a backpack .... all the threads you search will tell you why, but basically its like a bunch of disc accesses while bouncing, the iPod is equipped for this the iBook is not.

6. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

DO remember that iBooks aren't made to run in clamshell mode and heat can severely damage them .

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

it won't run in clamshell without an external display connected to it. So unless you carry a display,keyboard and mouse, it's not possible.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

The iBook IS NOT a portable music player...the great thing about the sleep mode is that you can put it in a backpack, bounce around for a while and not be worried that anything is hurt because nothing is spinning.
    Even if you COULD figure out a way to get your idea to work...you are only asking for serious problems.