Play on console w/ keyboard & mouse

Discussion in 'Games' started by Caezar, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Caezar macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2004
    Between a rock and a hard place
    I am considering buying a next-gen console to play First Person Shooter games. However, I find the controllers hard to use effectively.

Will it be possible to play with a keyboard and a mouse on the PS3, Wii, and Xbox360?
  2. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
  3. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
    by using a controller you are using your opposable thumbs ... my wrists get enough of a workout wiht my social life
  4. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    While I can understand why some people would want to be able to use a keyboard and mouse on a console, I don't think it will happen for a long time. First off, it gives far more advantage to people using a mouse in FPS over dual analog sticks, making everyone not on an even playing field. Also, for many like me, we have our 360 and such in the living room and there is pretty much no way I could use a keyboard and mouse comfortably on a couch. I would have to play on the coffee table and lean forward the whole time. Second, I could not imagine how much room we would need if 4 people were to play on one TV, each having their own keyboard and mouse. I would need a lot more storage room to keep that much stuff organized.
  5. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Try the wii, I think it's better than a mouse (though probably not with red steel – unless you practice for a couple of hours first :/ bad learning curve with that game IMO)
  6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    There are adapters for PS2 and XBox, and I don't think you'll need one on the Wii. ;)
  7. Caezar thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2004
    I had not given much thought to the Wii. How do use use the nunchuck to play FPS games? Is it more accurate than a traditional console controller?
  8. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    I don't think it's a question of whether the current hardware can accept a keyboard and mouse, as I'm sure that it's possible on all of them (at least the next gen consoles). The question is whether anyone will make games that'll use them, which I doubt they will given that the it doesn't seem to fit with the whole concept of a console.
  9. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2005
    Lyon, France
    It's pretty simple actually. You move and strafe with the analog stick on the nunchuck and you point and turn with the wiimote. I can't say how great it is since I don't have one, but the general consensus is that Red Steel impliments this terribly because you have the point the wiimote all the way to the far edges of the screen to move. However, in games like CoD3 and the upcoming Metroid, the "neutral zone" is smaller and you are able to turn quicker.
  10. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Call me a console conservative, but while I do prefer the keyboard and mouse for FPS games, I think it would feel awkward using and keyboard & mouse while playing it on a console system. I'd prefer to use a controller while playing on a console.
  11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    ^Indeed on a console I rather the regular....The wii might be the closet you can get to it but its still no match for the mouse.

The PS3 supports mouse and KB but I don't think they will allow it for games.

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    Shouldn't that be they are getting a workout because you DON'T havea social life? ;)

sorry that was low..
  13. Caezar thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2004
    He's a console conservative! He's a console conservative! He's a console conservative! All right, you see, it shocks you. It shocks you...

(adapted from Michael Richards/Kramer's rant :D )