play .rm files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aStabell, May 27, 2006.

1. aStabell macrumors member

Jan 1, 2004
    I've downloaded Real player and still no luck. VLC doesn't work either, my computer is opening the file in graphic converter. I have a powerbook G4 1.25 ghz 512RAM running 10.3.9.

Thanks for any help:D
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Do you mean that, even having installed RealPlayer, it tries to open the file in Graphic Converter, or that you try to open it in Real and get an error message?

If the latter:

Right click (or ctrl-click) the file and select the open with menu and then real player.

Or else, open Real Player, and then drag the file to the Real icon on the dock.

See if those work to play the file first. If not, it might be a bad file....
  3. aStabell thread starter macrumors member

Jan 1, 2004
    says unsupported document type, no luck maybe just won't play on mac, works fine on my friends windows comp. he is using the real alternative codec for WMP

Any other suggestions?
  4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    If the above don't work and you've got the latest RealPlayer, then either the file is corrupt, or (much more likely) it's mislabeled.

You get a surprising number of screwed-up files from Windows users that have the wrong extension just so they open in the preferred program. For example, most Ogg Media (.ogm) files I've seen have an improper .avi extension. Likewise, I've seen .avi files mislabled .wmv or vice versa.

In this case, try giving it an .avi extension and see if VLC can do anything with it.

Worst case, it's one of those files with a totally inappropriate combination of codecs--something like an AVI container with Real video and WMA audio. If that's the case, you're probably out of luck--even Windows users often have trouble playing them. I have no idea why people produce some of these bizzare files when there's several perfectly good free and readily accessable codecs and container formats available, but they do happen on occasion.