Play Spearhead From Image or CD-R?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Horrortaxi, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I'm trying to fool MOHAA Spearhead into running on my iBook. I own the game legally and it plays acceptably (MOHAA does anyway) on my iBook. Spearhead requires the DVD do be inserted in order to play but my iBook does not have a DVD drive. I made an image of the DVD and copied it to the iBook, but it won't work--the game wants the DVD. I thought maybe it just looked for a CD called 'Medal of Honor CD1' so I burned one but that didn't work. Does it look for a certain file on the CD?

I'm not particularly looking for a crack because that's against the forum's rules. I'm just interested in information about what the game looks for on the disk. If a moderator feels this is inappropriate then delete this with my apologies.

2. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

whats the big deal

The disk image thing works for pretty much all blizzard products. Does running the CD kill your battery that much. I have never owned a laptop. why would it kill your battery anyway its not running off the cd. you just need it to boot?

3. grundydog2000 macrumors newbie

Try "Locking" your disc image

I use the same technique to play Spearhead and many other games that require a CD. I did the following:

1. Used Toast to create an image (.toast) file of the CD
    2. Moved the .toast file to my Games/Medal of Honor folder
    3. Set the "locked" property for that .toast file to, well, checked
    4. Created a shortcut to the .toast file by dragging the file to the dock

So before I startup Spearhead, I click on the toast file icon (you can change the icon to be whatever you want) and then when Toast comes up, I click "Mount" and exit Toast. There may be an applescript you can write that will do the same thing when you click the Spearhead icon...I haven't gotten that into it though.

Anyhow, hope this helps. I do know that I had to "lock" the .toast file in order for the system to think it was a "read only" disc image.

4. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Dude, he said he didn't have a combo drive in the iBook.

5. Horrortaxi thread starter macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

You rock. That did the trick. I followed your directions exactly and made a playable image. There's something about the way Toast does this that makes it work. I did the exact same thing in Disk Utility and it wouldn't work.

Thanks again.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You have Spearhead on DVD? Mine came on one CD I think. Well, that's what I burned it on anyway...

7. Horrortaxi thread starter macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I think they call mine Deluxe Edition or something like that. It has Allied Assault and Spearhead on a DVD.

8. grundydog2000 macrumors newbie

Now that you're playing...

glad i could help out. there are ton of add-on & modified maps that you may want to play. Spearhead and Allied Assault have a ton of multi-player maps already, but some of the mods are a blast to play...especially online. just send me an email if you are interested in obtaining those maps.

cheers

9. Horrortaxi thread starter macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

The server I usually play on uses a lot of modded maps--a half dozen or so new ones a week. Good stuff.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That explains it then :)

11. About2SwitchOvr macrumors regular

Worked for CC:G as well!!

Thanks buddy. Great directions... It worked perfectly for CC:G