Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
As my library is bigger than my iPhone's storage, I can't sync all my music to it. However some music I still enjoy listening to at home, so is their anyway to tell iTunes to play unchecked songs without syncing still? Thanks.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
That is a good question! I have often wondered that myself. Hope someone has an answer.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I'd like to help, but I don't understand the question. Of course you can play all the songs in your itunes library, whether you have them checked to sync or not.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
I'd like to help, but I don't understand the question. Of course you can play all the songs in your itunes library, whether you have them checked to sync or not.

iTunes doesn't play the unchecked songs in shuffle mode. That's probably the problem.

Frankly, I never understood the concept of unchecking the songs you don't want to sync. Why don't you just use playlists to decide which songs you want to sync? That's much easier and more convenient.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
iTunes doesn't play the unchecked songs in shuffle mode. That's probably the problem.

Frankly, I never understood the concept of unchecking the songs you don't want to sync. Why don't you just use playlists to decide which songs you want to sync? That's much easier and more convenient.

that's what I do with my ipod shuffle. but, I have a 120GB classic, too, and my whole library fits on that.

If that is the problem, Cinematographer's suggestion is certainly the way to go.

Marvin1379

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
New York
Agree. I use smart playlists to fill my iPods depending on date listened too, rating, genre etc. It's filled with some of the same music all the time as I always want certain albums around, but the main one revolves and updates as I listen to songs and sync. It's nice to always have different stuff on there as there is limited space.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008

That is a good idea. I have usually just used the playlists (PL) to put a few songs in. I have a Rock PL, Arabic Music PL, Girlfriends Fav PL, and a play list for songs that I like to jam along with on my guitar. I will look into using playlists for syncing. Thanks for the tip.

plawler

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
As my library is bigger than my iPhone's storage, I can't sync all my music to it. However some music I still enjoy listening to at home, so is their anyway to tell iTunes to play unchecked songs without syncing still? Thanks.

Press Ctrl+ to get Preferences, go to the "General" tab and uncheck the "Show list checkboxes." Now you can play all your songs in iTunes. When you want to change which songs sync to your iPod, just reverse the process, and re-check the "Show list checkboxes" box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.