Play Xbox on 20" Apple Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Games' started by lcarlon, Jun 25, 2004.

1. lcarlon macrumors newbie

I've already posted this in the Hardware forum, but thought this one might recieve more responses.

I am a die-hard mac user, who has just succumbed to buying an Xbox for gaming. I just wish mac had more games!!
    I have a beautiful 20" Cinema Display and would love to play the Xbox on it.

Is this possible?
    If so, what option provides the best performance?

thanks

2. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

What you need is a video input thing. I think the eye TV things might have them or a pci card thing, or an all in wonder card. But i dunno. I would be interested in something that I could hook up a VHS to my monitor. But i dunno.... :p

3. applekid macrumors 68020

Well, you can get a DV to FireWire bridge and make it show up in iMovie. That's what I did with my friend's GameCube. But I doubt you can take full advantage of the resolution. And it is sorta expensive.

Of course, you could go for some sort of multiple adapter solution. ADC to something that ends up hooking up to your X-Box at the end? I don't know.

4. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

This is going to cost you a bit of money, but it can be done.

#1, you'll need an Apple DVI to ADC Display Adapter that is $99 if you don't already have one.

#2 you'll need a DVI female to VGA male converter.

#3 you'll need a X2VGA for $64.95 plus shipping.
    http://www.x2vga.com/

This is a pain in the butt, but mainly do to the fact that you're using a cinema display... doing things like this is one of the reasons I don't recommend them to a lot of my friends. I personally use a Samsung dual input LCD, so I can keep an Xbox hooked up via VGA and my mac hooked up via DVI, hit a button and just switches.

The X2VGA is probably the best VGA adapter you can get for the Xbox. It is not some crappy VGA box, it natively converts the progressive scan signals to VGA resolutions, so it's super sharp. I'm not sure how well Cinema displays display certain resolutions, like 640x480, etc, so you might want to make sure it can handle all of the corresponding resolutions. Another point, it cannot display non-progressive scan games (there are only a handful of them... it can sort of display non-progressive scan, but in wavey lines so you can barely make it out). The newer Xbox dashboards now support progressive scan, and if not you can buy a modchip and progressive scan patch your dashboard too.

Post any more questions you might have.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I think upon connection the two there will be some sort of cosmic explosion that will... :D

edit: off topic question

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

7. applekid macrumors 68020

Maybe a DV Bridge isn't too bad afterall? :D

8. lcarlon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the replies.
    I'll look into the options.
    You'll be hearing from me if I have anymore problems.

:)

9. Anticipat3 macrumors regular

The X2VGA Option described above is what I was going to suggest as well.

Another option (probably not as good) is to get an EyeTV, and run the video output in to your mac that way. That way you can play xbox in a window :).

10. Oblyter8ed macrumors newbie

Play Xbox on 20" Apple Cinema Display?

I noticed that someone who responded earlier said that you can use the "eyeTV" thing to play on the Monitor. This would work, but since the box has to convery everything it recieves into the MPEG 2 format, it has a delay of approximately one and a half senconds. I was about to buy it to play GameCube in my room, but that was the deciding factor.

11. hankd macrumors newbie

I just found this thread, sorry for being a latecomer... I've been playing XBox on my Plasma TV for the past year, and it's come close to getting burn-in a few times... so I'm getting ready to attach my Cinema Display 20" to my XBox (when cabling comes).

I already own the XBox Hi-Def module, which produces component video... so I ordered a component-to-DVI adapter (which is coming my way now) and I have the DVI-to-ADC adapter already (I drive my 20" with my Powerbook)... I also ordered a dual-RCA-to-female-headphone adapter to take the audio from the XBox Hi-Def module to my computer speakers...

I'm hopeful this will work, but if anyone knows otherwise it'd be good to know so I can dash my hopes BEFORE I rewire everything... :)

Thanks,
    Hank.

12. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

which component to DVI adapter did you get? All the ones I've seen are $200+

13. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Not good indeed. EyeTV has a 1-2 second lag from when something happens on the input source to when it displays on the computer. It's actually listed in their FAQ

14. TheGimp macrumors 6502

EyeTV is *not* an option. According to the elgato website, console systems can be displayed on an Apple display using EyeTV, but the lag inherent in the mpeg-2 compression scheme used by EyeTV ensures a sizable delay between a gamepad signal and what you see on the screen.

Read the FAQ for Eyetv 500 (and belowe) at elgato.com

15. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I got one with a projector. It's quite simple. Just the component wires going into a male DVI port

16. Funkatation macrumors regular

I have the X2VGA adapter.. well worth the money. It has the best image quality I've seen on the Xbox (I have a 27" Flat tube TV w/component inputs as my main reference) I hooked it up to my Dell Ultrasharp 15" Display (via the VGA output) and man, was it beautiful. I highly recommend that adapter, it is bar none, the best on the market.

17. gear02 macrumors member

Let's go one further. I saw a huge cinema display at compusa yesterday and I was wondering, could you use this as a hdtv?

18. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

cool. . . for the xbox. . . but anyone know something that will work with a PS2 i know the eyeTV will not work b/c of the couple second delay. what about a plain TV input (RCA) for the mac monitors or any VGA monitor? in some post i saw someone that talked about a $2000 RCA to VGA adapter. but there must be something simple like this xbox one but that works with PS2

19. gear02 macrumors member

20. Brent87 macrumors newbie

SO, if i want to connect my XBox to my iMac screen i just have to buy a x2vga adaptor and a Apple Mini-DVI-naar-VGA-adapter. Or do i also have to buy a Apple DVI to ADC Display Adapter???

21. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I never said anything about an iMac.

With an iMac you'd have to get a USB/Firewire to S-video/Composite adapter, which would create lag and it's totally not worth it, plus it would be a 480i image.

Edit - Kind of scary you quoted a 2 year old post of mine and I responded within an hour :)

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That's EyeTV USB, but the new EyeTV 250 has a Game Mode that uses software encoding (more CPU power) and is lagless, and the EyeTV Hybrid has no hardware encoding and is always lagless.

The EyeTV 500 however has no game mode- all the EyeTV's that have a game mode can only do 480i.

You guys are reading the FAQ's for the wrong EyeTV's.

23. Oblivious macrumors 6502

EyeTV says the 250 is lagless, but when I bought it for my mini I was getting a half-second delay or so when in Game Mode. It was playable, but very annoying.
    I have since returned my EyeTV 250.

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Maybe it was because of your Mini? I mena Core Duos are push a lot harder then G4s can...I wonder if it was improved with Intel?

25. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Crap, you might be right... the thing is it didn't seem as if my computer's processor and RAM were all tied up when in Game Mode.
    Seriously though, Elgato should give more specific system requirements for Game Mode other than "USB 2.0 required." It would have saved me a lot of time.