Play XM Radio on my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by acp, Jan 5, 2006.

1. acp macrumors newbie

Hey all... new to Macforums...

I received an XM player for Christmas, and before I activated my XM subscription, I was wondering if there's a way to play it through my Powerbook via a Widget or software app? I was thinking the widget/app would verify my subscription (like my Delphi player does) and then display the channels and songs, and I could just play them. I can't seem to find anything out there that can do this, and perhaps there isn't anything. I have no plans to record the music, burn it, or otherwise, just to listen to it via headphones while working in the coffeeshop on a Saturday morning.

Any help is appreciated.

AP

2. usagent macrumors newbie

once you subscribe you can go to xmradio.com and sign in. your subcribtion includes the online version of xm radio as well. when you sign in a player will open up that has the xm channels ready to be listened to.

3. acp thread starter macrumors newbie

you sure?

I saw something about an addition $4 charge a month for Radio Online or something... Perhaps that's different?

And do you know of any Widgets (XM/Some Other Media Player) that I can use versus loading up Safari each time?

AP

4. usagent macrumors newbie

nope, online service is included. i'm using it right now actually. as for widgets, do a search on the apple site...i think i remember seeing one there. i could be wrong, but give it a shot.

5. acp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Appreciate the help... I just want to make sure my XM subscription is worth the price of admission... I don't want to have to carry around a portable player, iPod, cell phone, etc etc... 8^)

AP

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

XM Online is included with an XM subscription. If you don't have an XM subscription, you can subscribe to just XM online (ie. no listening via a real radio) for $6 or $7 a month. Anyway, here's a widget for listening to XM online. It works OK most of the time for me, but I really wish XM would either switch to QuickTime streaming, or at least add a QT stream, because Windows Media is awful. I sometimes have problems connecting (like right now).

7. acp thread starter macrumors newbie