Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
This is just an example, but say you try to play a music video from yahoo! videos, it says you need windows media player. What can I do to get these to run? (Keep in mind it's a stream, not a download.)

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I hate to bump a thread, but I'm very curious as to how I could get this to work. I was under the impression that this was something that a program could take care of - obviously we can't have the windows media player like it suggests. I'll post of a picture of the exact message when I can.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Really? Interesting. I would have thought someone would have come up with a program to trick those sites into thinking windows media player was installed.

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2005
Yeah, I would have thought a lot of things would have been better suited. They cater to MS users I guess.

Aramis

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
East Coast
Well you can install windows media player on OSX (as I have it installed) but its still not recognized by Yahoo as being installed.

Not sure why.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
You'd think sites would opt for Quicktime, as it's cross-platform - but I guess some people don't even account for the existance of OS's outside of Windows.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Aramis said:
Well you can install windows media player on OSX (as I have it installed) but its still not recognized by Yahoo as being installed.

Not sure why.

Strange :\.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
calebjohnston said:
Strange :\.
Yeah, I can't get it to recognize either. I was using Shiira and tricked Yahoo! to think I was running IE 6.0 on Windows.

I think it involves how Windows Media player on Windows can handle DRM and other encryption.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
Im surprised everyone doesn't know about LyFox.
You won't be able to play those music videos through your browser, but
FernyB made it possible to see them through his program.

http://fernyb.2ya.com/

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
For anyone reading this, the above app works. Download it and then search for the band, double click the video, and look below to where it creates text (you may have to expand the window, there's a button on the bottom). copy that text into safari and it will open quicktime with the video. mmm

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
calebjohnston: There is no need to copy/paste the link it gives out. You can just hit the 'play button' and a new window will pop open with quicktime
ready to go. :D

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Nice! I love it! I've been trying to do that for months. Now I can make my own video show a la MTV! :)

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
balamw said:
MTV shows music videos? When was the last time you watched?

B

yeah, in a blue moon, the occasionally have videos on there. They also have the notorious Total Request Live, which shows tidbits of the top ten videos requested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.