Play your DivX movies in OS X

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sparkleytone, Nov 6, 2002.

1. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayerosx/

this is the project page for the OS X port of the linux mplayer. It plays all my DivX avi files great as of yesterday. Also plays most windows media files. Check it out.

2. stromie952 macrumors regular

How is the performance while playing Divx?

I have an iBook 500 w/320MB of RAM and when I have previously tried to play Divx using Quicktime and Divx Doctor, I had a very small audio delay and could only play the movie, not do anything else.

3. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

i might just be retarded, but i can't seem to find the link on the crowded page to download this player:(

4. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I love vlc (video LAN client), it plays just about anything. Not a good idea to be doing too much while it is playing, though.

5. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Yep, vlc is a great app. Still lacks a lot of basic features, but adds a lot of nice ones. It's only at version 0.44 or something though, so I'm not complaining.

I'll chek out this new one though too. I'm getting really sick of trying to watch WMP files in VPC. XP is just sooo slow on my 933 G4...

6. sparkleytone thread starter macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

performance seems to be much better than quicktime does a doctored divx.

the interface is rather complex...but also allow you to tweak performance....i have found that the framedrop option works wonders for the audio sync in .wma encoded DivX files.

7. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

WHY ON EARTH are you watching WMP files in VPC instead of in Windows Media Player for Mac???

8. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

it can't play streaming .wmv, which is about the only time you would ever need wmv compatability if you're not watching pirated dvd rips. thank goodness for desinstaller. does anyone know if this feature will be supported in future releases? i'd really like to ditch wmp.

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

10. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

There are a heap of codecs that aren't available for WMP on the Mac.

11. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Take this into consideration: I've never tried to use this program and I never use Darwin/Terminal....

but I get this:

Requested video codec family [wmv8] (vfm=dshow) not available (enable it at compilation!)
    *** Try to upgrade /Users/xoxoxoxo/.mplayer/codecs.conf from etc/codecs.conf
    *** If it still does not work, read DOCS/codecs.html!
    Can't find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x32564D57!

I can hear the audio but no video....:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

To All Divx Users

You do not need any codecs to view DIVX movies, just QT6. If the movie is a .avi, you will need a Divx Validator, either one that fixes .avi's to work with QT, or converts them to .mov's. I some times have the problems with the audio, but after some research, I found out that it is caused by someone riping the video, or formating the video incorrectly. If you have some that are messed up, throw them away, there is no way to fix it.

::~~TEG~~::

13. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: To All Divx Users

You forgot to mention, there is an incompatibility with QT and DivX with MP3

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hope it works good, VLC is good, but it's got a few bugs...

15. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

divx movies used to run fine in quicktime 5 if you had either the jamby ffmpeg.component or the divx.com 5.0a1 component and changed the file type of the movie from "VfW" to "DiVX" (no doctoring or anything, just change the filetype). this solved all audio issues and played back divx movies flawlessly in any quicktime capable app (it was really cool to play divx movies as finder previews). somewhere around the time quicktime 6 was released and the divx.com 5.0a2 codec was released, this stopped working and you had to do all of this doctoring buisness (or just play it in vlc). it's a real pain in the ass that this assanine problem cannot be fixed correctly, but people should be encoding in mpeg4 anyway, not some bastard codec.