Play Your DVD's on iPod Video

Discussion in 'iPod' started by deanwaterman, Nov 23, 2005.

1. deanwaterman macrumors regular

Sep 30, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I know many of you are aware of Handbrake, which allows you to convert your DVD over to a useable video signal for the iPod w/video. But WOW, I decided to give it a shot... I am amazed.

I used the movie Polar Express as my first movie. I did this on my Powerbook so I think it took longer than it might of on a Quad Power Mac, but nonetheless 3 hours later I had a quicktime video ready to use. I had absolutely no problems doing other applications while this was in the background converting the DVD over to the Quicktime video. After it was done I just simply added it to the iTunes library, and then finally onto my iPod.

It took less than 1 minute for the 1.5 hour movie to transfer to the iPod. How is that for fast? Then came the moment of truth.

I went to the movie menu, hit play and there it was. It looks AWESOME and sounds good too. It was done in widescreen so I have a smaller pic, but the details were excellent and I could watch this on a trip in the car or plane.

Next I wondered how it would look on my 36" TV. I have the new dock and I utilized the S-Video output to play the movie on the TV. The quality looks like a video tape, which isn't bad considering the resolution. Now I can take my kids stuff and mine, and play them at Grandma's house while we are on vacation. No need to take 30 DVD's... I plan to have them all on the iPod within a week.

I have seen some debate between the Photo and Video iPod. I wasn't sold either until I used Handbrake to do the DVD tricks. I am a BELIEVER. 100%. And I also have no regrets now of spending the extra $100 for the 60GB model. Room for more DVD's!

If you Google "Handbrake" you will be able to download this free software. I printed out the instructions to make it easy for me to follow, and I would recommend the same to anyone trying this out for the first time. BTW, only works on the OS X platform.
  2. flat6 macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2004
    What formats does the iPod take?
    And what size does your final file end up being?

And yeah, Handbrake does rock.
  3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    For the movies I did the file size ranged from 300 MB to 450 MB. I am very very impressed with Handbrake.
  4. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

Oct 12, 2005
    Downloaded HandBrake a few days ago.... very nice, I just got to love having an entire series of the Simpsons and Buffy on my iPod Video:D

I like the fact how you can customise the hell out of the quality of the DVD that you are ripping, by far the best way the get high quality video content to your iPod
  5. deanwaterman thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 30, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I have been doing it with a 320x240, or 320 x ??? if it is widescreen.

Handbrake is the best... by far!
  6. xy14 macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2004

but its sooooooooooo longgggggggggggggggggggg...

I try to translate 'The Eighth Day' and I got very bored after 45 minutes. Definitely something you could sleep thru.
  7. thechris69 macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    Does it have to be dvd? or can you do downloaded mpeg from like limewire?
  8. cycocelica macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    Handbrake is wonderful. Thanks for the review. How many DVDs can you fit on the iPod?
  9. deanwaterman thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 30, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    How many DVD's on a 60GB iPod

From my rought estimate, a 2hr DVD, transferred at the average rate, would take up 450-500mb. With that figure, I estimate fitting 120 movies on a 60GB iPod. Not bad.

I have 12GB of music on mine, 1GB of photos, and plan on easily filling up the iPod with 35 DVD movies, TV shows and documentaries withing the next couple weeks. Got to get ready for Christmas vacation!
  10. Scruge macrumors member

Nov 16, 2005
    does anyone know a good free DVD converter for Windows?
  11. deanwaterman thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 30, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    The choice to move from Windows to Mac is free... That is the best solution... Other than that I have not yet seen a good program yet. Have you tried Podner? The other bet might actually be quicktime pro. I would look at that on the Apple Site.
  12. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2005
    New York, NY
    What? You can't find software? For Windows? Imagine such a thing....