Played a X360 at GameStop...

Discussion in 'Games' started by katchow, Nov 1, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

gotta say i was a little underwhelmed. The controller felt nice, but the graphics boost was marginal. Does anyone have higher expectations for the next gen?

2. macrumors 68020

dubbz

I don't have high expectations for the first gen games. Will take a while before they get to really know the box.

3. macrumors 65816

runninmac

I played one at :eek: Walmart:eek: (im embaresed that i steped into that place) My experiance wasn't great. First they had these 5 yearold kids playing it having no clue what they were doing. Then I was underwhlemed at the graphics. And it was trashy Walmart. Im still wondering if I am going to get it on launch. I played CoD2 it was ok. I think if I do I will either get Perfect Dark Zero or Project Gotham Racing.

4. macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Agreed. I'm waiting to see if Best Buy here will have a midnight sale or if they'll just sell that morning. Either way, I have the morning off work to be there! :D

5. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I've read a lot of reviews of it not being what people expected. It seems that MS's goal it to release the 360 as many months before PS3 as possible. They should reevaluate that and work on making it right.

6. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Mmmm, were you guys playing/watching on a HD tv?

7. macrumors regular

Here is a look at how Madden looked on the Playstation, then the first Madden on the PS2, the latest Madden on the PS2 and finally on the xbox360. The 360 will be a good machine, it will just take time for delevopers to push the platform.

Attached Files:

8. macrumors 68020

dubbz

Ouch. The PS1 version looks horrible! :p

Some fairly noticeable changes from version to version.

9. macrumors 603

zelmo

Agreed. I'm sure there will be a step forward between the latest current for XB, GC, and PS2, and the first wave of games for the new consoles. I'm just not convinced I'm willing to spend $700 to get a 360, along with the necessary cables, extra controller and a few games for what will be, in the short term at least, a modest graphical improvement. And then do it all again for the PS3 and Revolution. That's why, this time out, I think I'm going to sit tight and enjoy the latest games on the current gen instead of rushing out to buy the new consoles. Maybe wait until the prices come down a hair and the 2nd wave of games comes out.

At least, that's my plan until they are actually available.:rolleyes:

10. macrumors 603

zelmo

Wish he had included a screen grab of the last Madden for the SNES/Genesis era, just for comparison. Then you'd recall what a quantum leap we had when we got the PS1.:eek: :p

11. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

How about from Madden 96?
    [​IMG]

12. macrumors 68030

homerjward

is it just me or have games never showed depth of field before? (very evident on the 360 screenshot)

13. macrumors regular

Here you go. Remember that the SNES used sprites and not 3D models.

Attached Files:

14. macrumors 68020

dubbz

My eyes! The goggles! They do nothing! :p

15. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i dont think the xbox360 will make the splash they wanted to like how the PS2 did when it came out. I dont think the xbox360 will hurt PS3 coming out so early in the game.....im waiting on the revolution but i know im going to get all the systems like i do every generation.

xbox will be good(hopefully)

Bless

16. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Of course its gonna take time to develop better games for the new consoles. These games were developed on G5s you know, they couldn't do a whole lot.

17. macrumors G5

yg17

And just think, 10 years ago that was considered good.

18. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Were any of the demos using an HD compatible display? I got to imagine that would improve the quality some...

19. macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I played it at Best Buy. It was the Call of Duty 2 demo, and it was on a samsung 23" LCD HD. Very, very nice to say the least.

20. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Got to play it at Best Buy. My original impression at Wal-Mart was very bad; Call of Duty 2 would lock up (the defective Wal-Mart disks), King Kong would not run (unique to this machine), and I was stuck with Kameo. The controller was locked in place with no range of motion and the screen was up above me at a terrible angle that hurt my neck. Kameo was underwhelming.

At Best Buy on the other hand, I got to play King Kong, and WOW. It's more the game than the system, but still. They had a nice HDTV, wired controllers you could grip how you wanted, and surround sound speakers. It looked and sounded great- the T-Rex chase was terrifying. Very fun.

The graphics are still below promised, but then, when you think about it;

Kameo is a GameCube game ported to XBox to XBox 360.

Call of Duty 2 is a PC game ported to XBox 360.

King Kong is a multiplatform, current gen game.

Current gen games are ALL single-threaded.
    PC games are all single- or dual-threaded (since many PC's support hyperthreading, but few have multiple processors).

I'm sure that in the port they would shove some stuff onto the extra processors (like in Mac ports often sound or other extras are shoved onto the second thread), but most of the work would be concentrated in a single thread unless re-written from scratch. So it would be safe to assume that Kameo, CoD2, and King Kong all use only some of the system's power.

I can't wait to see what a game designed ground up for next gen looks like.

Admittedly, it just felt like current gen games with a comfy controller and better visuals. I'm still not buying one; not if I have to spend $600 to actually play a game online.

21. macrumors 6502

22. macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Why stop there?
    This was pretty cutting-edge in 1986, although I remember that some football games then actually had color.

Attached Files:

23. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I played it today at Best Buy. I tried the CoD2 demo, which is really hard without a mouse. The sound was amazing though, even through the two tiny speakers on the Samsung LCD TV (dunno if it was HD, and was a bit on the small side).
    I played King Kong too, but going against 2 T-Rexs is not a fair fight :mad:
    However, I'm going to wait to try a Revolution, and for price drops before I start seriously looking at a system to buy.

24. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I know I'm quoting myself, but...

I'm curious if anyone else has done the math on this. What do you need to buy to have a basic online gaming experience on the XBox 360?

XBox 360 Premium: $399.

Why Premium?

If you buy the basic model, you still need to buy a $40 memory card to save your Live profile and a $20 headset required for online play. That's $360; but the memory card is too small for downloadable content, so you can't play on servers running the latest maps or updates, or MMO's at all. $40 more gets the premium with the hard drive, headset, remote control, wireless controllers, and HD output cables. It'd be stupid to go with the other model and you wouldn't get a full online gaming experience.

Wireless Adapter: $99

This ridiculously overpriced wireless adapter is a REQUIREMENT for me, where ethernet cords don't reach where I have my consoles.

Actual game (launch titles): $50-$60.

XBox Live: $50

Why $50? The monthly fee has gone up to $8 a month, however the yearly fee of $50 a year remains the same, therefore you save a LOT of money by getting the yearly subscription.

$600-$610, right there. You can reduce that to $560-$570 if you go with the Core, but then don't get the hard drive, downloadable content, or anything.

25. macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

You don't have to use their wireless adapter. I think I recall that it uses standard communication, and not a propriety one, so any wireless adapter should work (It also worked for Xbox 1).

As for game prices, they can shove it, they're getting too expensive. I know production costs have soared, but thats a problem THEY have to work with. I'm hoping Nintendo catches both sony and Microsoft with this one, It may play a big factor in this gen's console wars, who knows. Nintendo might gain something...