Playing a .swf game on harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cleo, Jan 26, 2004.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I used to be able to play .swf (Flash) games that were downloaded from the net on my old G3 iBook (Jaguar). But now I'm running Panther and Quicktime insists on opening them, which doesn't allow interaction with the file. I have the Flash and Shockwave internet plugins... what am I missing?

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Can't you just right click/option click on the .swf and make sure it opens with the flash player?

BTW - nice to see you around, been a while :D

How are you doing?

D

3. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Quicktime player doesn't work so well with every .swf file I've downloaded. If you get one that doesn't work, try this:

Open a window in your favorite browser. delete whatever is in your address bar. In the finder, click on the .swf file and drag it to the address bar of your browser. This should put the file path of whatever file in where the URLs go. Hit return if necessary.

In Safari, at least, the flash file resizes to fill the window. It isn't as good as the fullscreen you can get with Quicktime Pro but I think the plugin is faster and at least more compatible than Quicktime Player.

4. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Do you have standalone Flash Player?
    cmd+i on some swf file then set 'open with' to SA Flash Player and click 'change all'. So it opens all swf files with it.

5. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Thx for all the suggestions... Safari is being typically idiosynchratic about this, but I remembered IE, and it worked like a charm.

Out of curiosity, where do you get the standalone flash player? I could't find it on Macromedia's site, and the version on versiontracker says it expired a year ago.

Peace!

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

7. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

thanks, but I wasn't sure if she wanted a .bin or .hqx - I was giving her the choice :D

D

9. sapm5 macrumors newbie

Use iSwiff

Use iSwiff. It plays .swf files seamlessly, esp. games. Even I had a similar problem, but this software is good. It's freeware too.

10. Weaselboy macrumors Core

Weaselboy

+1 My wife uses this for a couple games and it works well.

11. jackerin macrumors 6502a

12. Weaselboy macrumors Core

Weaselboy

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016119145480959114%3Akuv1aq0hily&ie=UTF-8&q=play+swf+games+site%3Aforums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

What are you the thread police?

Many people use http://mroogle.*************/ to find Mac info and even though this thread is six years old, if you now use MRoogle to search for "play swf games" (linked above) you will find this thread along with an answer to the question. Useful yes? I think so.

13. sapm5 macrumors newbie

Some bits are missing.

When I tried to play games such as "Taxi Driver", iSwiff showed an error which stated that certain software such has Havoc was missing, so the game cannot be played. Anybody know any other software?