Playing a WMA File

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I downloaded a song from www.mtv.com/music/downloads/ and it's in WMA format. When I try to open it, Windows Media Player opens, then Safari opens, and then WiMP quits itself. Safari heads off to what appears to be a blank page - it loads for a second or two but nothing appears.

I've emailed mtv.com about it, but they haven't replied yet so I was just wondering whether someone else could help in the meantime.

2. pEZ macrumors 6502

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, I've just tried both of those. MPlayer won't play it (no error, just doesn't play), and VLC appears to play it, but no sound comes out.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what mtv say about it.

4. vniow macrumors G4

That sounds like a protected WMA file, when you encode and protect a file with WMP and try to play it again, it'll open up a browser window saying that this computer is okay to play the file on...that's how it works on Windows anyway, it may be different for Macs...

I have an app that will convert WMAs to WAVs or MP3s, not sure if it would work for protected ones though...

Download it here and give it a shot.

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, that didn't work, but it was worth trying. It just says "Error while decoding stream #0.0", so it sounds like it's definitely a protected file.

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just realised there's something I forgot to mention. I changed my default browser to IE, and now when I try to play the file it opens IE instead of Safari, but instead of just giving me a blank page, it gives me the message "There is a problem with your track. You may want to try downloading the file again". I did try downloading it again, and it has the same problem. I actually tried downloading a different one in case the one on the server was damaged.

7. vniow macrumors G4

Damn, what's the file you're looking to download?

8. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Anything from www.mtv.com/music/downloads/ (none of them work, at least none of the ones I tried anyway).

Nothing important, if I really want them I could always look on P2P :) I was basically just wondering about how to play them but there's nothing I "need" there.

9. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

Did you try dragging the file into Mplayer's Playlist, and then playing it?

10. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Doesn't work :(

Don't worry about it, it's not important.