Playing around with Ubuntu, help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Smileyguy, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Hey guys & gals, I wanted to install and run Ubuntu from a CD to see what it is like, and have been following the instructions for mac here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto.

However, once I've done this, I have no idea what to do next. I don't seem to be able to select the disc as a startup in system preferences, and the guide on that webpage doesn't give any more instructions. Could anybody help?

2. zflauaus macrumors 65816

You can't choose to boot the disc from System Prefs, you have to reboot your computer and hold down "C" I believe. Either that or control. I forgot which one. The you can choose to boot from the CD.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed..You need to restart your computer and hold down the "C" button whiles the live CD is in the drive....then you can boot up.

Bless

4. Mernak macrumors 6502

Just as a warning, running ubuntu off of a cd is painfully slow unless you have a good amount of ram in your system. You can play around with the programs installed by default and there is a really simple installer which I think is configured to not overwrite your entire hard drive. The only other advice I can give you is to be sure to back everything up before installing, unless you left free space in the partition map, and repartitioning you do will erase everything that you have (OS included)

PS. Boot from the cd by holding down "C", or you could use option to see all available startup disks